Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Jan, 2025 10:41 AM
  • Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is ready to deliver a "purposeful, forceful but reasonable immediate" response if U.S. President Donald Trump imposes tariffs on Canadian imports.

During an event in Toronto today, Trudeau said that it's "not what we want, but if he moves forward, we will also act."

His comments come as three federal cabinet ministers are in Washington making a last-ditch attempt to stop Trump from slapping 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports as early as Saturday.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly, Public Safety Minister David McGuinty and Immigration Minister Marc Miller are all in the U.S. capital making a final diplomatic push to convince Republican lawmakers and Trump's team to sway the president.

Trump initially claimed his tariff threat was in response to a failure by Canada and Mexico to curb the illegal flow of people and drugs across the border.

Trudeau today tried to reassure Canadians while acknowledging Canada "could be facing difficult times in the coming days and weeks."

"I won't sugarcoat it," he said.

Trudeau said he knows Canadians "might be anxious and worried, but I want them to know the federal government, and indeed all orders of government, have their backs."

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc sent a video Thursday describing Canada's border security efforts to Trump's nominee for commerce secretary.

Trudeau said Friday Canada has responded to Trump's concerns with a $1.3 billion border security plan.

"In fact, the first patrol helicopters began monitoring the border earlier this week, and new canine teams, along with imaging tools, are being deployed to detect and stop the flow of fentanyl," he said.

He noted less than one per cent of fentanyl and illegal crossings into the United States come from Canada.

MORE National ARTICLES

Pickpocketing taking place in New Westminster

Pickpocketing taking place in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are asking residents to watch out for thieves targeting coat racks near the entrances of local businesses as winter approaches. Police say suspects typically take items such as wallets and cell phones from coats left on racks.

Pickpocketing taking place in New Westminster

Fatal residential fire in North Cowichan

Fatal residential fire in North Cowichan
Mounties in North Cowichan are investigating after a residential fire resulted in a death. R-C-M-P says officers were called to the scene at around 9:30 a.m. on October 28th, which prompted responses from North Cowichan, Maple Bay, Crofton and Chemainus.

Fatal residential fire in North Cowichan

First of six units begin generating power at B.C.'s Site C dam

First of six units begin generating power at B.C.'s Site C dam
BC Hydro says the massive Site C dam project in northeastern British Columbia has started generating power. The provincial electric utility says in a statement that the first of six generating units on the Site C dam has begun operations after completing testing and commissioning procedures.

First of six units begin generating power at B.C.'s Site C dam

PM's national security adviser shared India interference allegations with counterpart

PM's national security adviser shared India interference allegations with counterpart
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's national security adviser says she shared the explosive allegations about Indian officials taking part in criminal activity in Canada with her counterpart in New Delhi before the RCMP went public with the news this month. Nathalie Drouin told the House of Commons national security committee today there was an effort to work with the Indian government to ensure accountability. 

PM's national security adviser shared India interference allegations with counterpart

Google exempt from Online News Act for five years, must pay news outlets $100M: CRTC

Google exempt from Online News Act for five years, must pay news outlets $100M: CRTC
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has granted Google a five-year exemption from the Online News Act, ordering it to release the $100 million it now owes to Canadian news outlets within 60 days. Google agreed last year to pay Canadian news publishers $100 million a year, indexed to inflation, in order to be exempt from the law, which compels tech companies to enter into agreements with news publishers to pay for content reposted on their platforms.

Google exempt from Online News Act for five years, must pay news outlets $100M: CRTC

'Nobody wants to blow up the party': Trudeau staying, despite resignation calls

'Nobody wants to blow up the party': Trudeau staying, despite resignation calls
Several Liberal MPs are calling for a secret ballot vote on Justin Trudeau's leadership after he made clear he isn't going anywhere in spite of the calls from within his caucus to step down.  Two dozen members of caucus signed a letter that gave Trudeau until Monday to respond to their demand for his resignation as party leader.

'Nobody wants to blow up the party': Trudeau staying, despite resignation calls