Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 31 Jan, 2025 10:41 AM
  • Trudeau says Canada 'ready' for Trump tariffs as ministers make final push in D.C.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is ready to deliver a "purposeful, forceful but reasonable immediate" response if U.S. President Donald Trump imposes tariffs on Canadian imports.

During an event in Toronto today, Trudeau said that it's "not what we want, but if he moves forward, we will also act."

His comments come as three federal cabinet ministers are in Washington making a last-ditch attempt to stop Trump from slapping 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports as early as Saturday.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly, Public Safety Minister David McGuinty and Immigration Minister Marc Miller are all in the U.S. capital making a final diplomatic push to convince Republican lawmakers and Trump's team to sway the president.

Trump initially claimed his tariff threat was in response to a failure by Canada and Mexico to curb the illegal flow of people and drugs across the border.

Trudeau today tried to reassure Canadians while acknowledging Canada "could be facing difficult times in the coming days and weeks."

"I won't sugarcoat it," he said.

Trudeau said he knows Canadians "might be anxious and worried, but I want them to know the federal government, and indeed all orders of government, have their backs."

Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc sent a video Thursday describing Canada's border security efforts to Trump's nominee for commerce secretary.

Trudeau said Friday Canada has responded to Trump's concerns with a $1.3 billion border security plan.

"In fact, the first patrol helicopters began monitoring the border earlier this week, and new canine teams, along with imaging tools, are being deployed to detect and stop the flow of fentanyl," he said.

He noted less than one per cent of fentanyl and illegal crossings into the United States come from Canada.

MORE National ARTICLES

Man who steals police vehicle denied bail

Man who steals police vehicle denied bail
The man accused of stealing a Vancouver police vehicle and using it to do doughnuts on a local sports field has been denied bail. The man was arrested on October 6th, when he allegedly stole a police S-U-V and took it for a joyride on a grass field at a park in East Vancouver. 

Man who steals police vehicle denied bail

Police watchdog called after fatal shooting in Penticton

Police watchdog called after fatal shooting in Penticton
Mounties in British Columbia's southern Interior say they've notified the provincial police watchdog after a confrontation that left one man dead and an officer injured. Penticton RCMP say they received multiple 911 calls Tuesday reporting a man acting erratically and allegedly waving a knife. 

Police watchdog called after fatal shooting in Penticton

Quick Quotes: What Liberal MPs have to say as the caucus debates Trudeau's future

Quick Quotes: What Liberal MPs have to say as the caucus debates Trudeau's future
"There's a — what would you call it? Some palace drama going on right now. And that takes us away from the number 1 job, which is focusing on Canadians and focusing on the important policies but also on showing the really clear contrast between our government, our party and Pierre Poilievre."

Quick Quotes: What Liberal MPs have to say as the caucus debates Trudeau's future

BoC delivers half percentage point rate cut to 3.75 per cent

BoC delivers half percentage point rate cut to 3.75 per cent
The Bank of Canada delivered a supersized interest rate cut Wednesday in response to the recent decline in inflation, bringing its key policy rate down by half a percentage point to 3.75 per cent. With annual price growth now around two per cent, the central bank says its job has shifted from lowering inflation to maintaining it around the inflation target.

BoC delivers half percentage point rate cut to 3.75 per cent

Youth stabbed at a Port Coquitlam Secondary School

Youth stabbed at a Port Coquitlam Secondary School
Police in Coquitlam are looking for witnesses after a youth was stabbed and suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Mounties say the attack happened yesterday afternoon just before 3 p-m when officers responded to a report at Terry Fox Park in Port Coquitlam.

Youth stabbed at a Port Coquitlam Secondary School

Families call for inquiry after nine Indigenous people killed in police interactions

Families call for inquiry after nine Indigenous people killed in police interactions
A group of Black and Indigenous women say they want a national public inquiry into a recent spate of police-involved deaths, after nine Indigenous people were killed in interactions with police in August and September. About two dozen people gathered on Parliament Hill on Tuesday, including the families of eight people who died. 

Families call for inquiry after nine Indigenous people killed in police interactions