Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Trudeau says most could get vaccine by September

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2020 07:27 PM
  • Trudeau says most could get vaccine by September

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pushed back against critics of his government's COVID-19 vaccination plan with assurances most Canadians would be inoculated by September 2021, with a former NATO commander leading distribution.

Trudeau announced Friday that Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin will lead the nation's vaccine distribution efforts, overseeing logistics that include cold storage requirements, data sharing, and reaching Indigenous communities.

 

 

He also acknowledged the public's eagerness to know when those efforts might begin, but said what matters most is the "finish line."

Trudeau said most citizens are expected to be vaccinated by September 2021, and it was important to make sure this was done as safely as possible.

Deputy chief public health officer Dr. Howard Njoo has suggested he hoped to see most Canadians vaccinatedby the end of next year, but this is the most specific the Liberal government has been.

Njoo later said the Prime Minister's prediction is "in the same ballpark" as previous rollout plans, and said September was a good target to work towards.

Trudeau said that plan positions Canada well, despite criticism the country may not start vaccinations as early as the United States, Germany and the United Kingdom.

"The fact that the doctors highlighted that if all goes according to plan, we should be able to have the majority of Canadians vaccinated by next September, puts us in very good stead," Trudeau insisted.

"We're going to continue to do everything we can to deliver for Canadians, listening to experts working with top people to make sure that we're doing this, right, and quickly and safely for all Canadians."

Ottawa has finalized agreements with five vaccine makers and is in advanced negotiations with two more.

The deals would secure 194 million doses with the option to buy another 220 million, said Arianne Reza, the assistant deputy minister with Public Services and Procurement Canada.

The news follows more alarming daily COVID-19 case numbers from Ontario, which reported a record 1,855 new cases, and 20 more deaths on Friday.

Quebec reported 1,269 new COVID-19 infections and 38 more deaths linked to the virus, including nine that occurred in the past 24 hours.

Nunavut announced four new cases of COVID-19.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. unveils $1.5B economic recovery plan

B.C. unveils $1.5B economic recovery plan
Premier John Horgan's government has also announced funding for the tourism industry, food security, climate action, and technology and innovation.

B.C. unveils $1.5B economic recovery plan

B.C. mental health minister not seeking re-election

B.C. mental health minister not seeking re-election
Judy Darcy, who represents New Westminster in the legislature, says in a statement that it's been an "enormous privilege" to serve as B.C.'s first-ever minister of mental health and addictions.

B.C. mental health minister not seeking re-election

Vancouver records increase in crime

Vancouver records increase in crime
Vancouver police say violent crime increased by more than five per cent and was largely driven by a rise in serious assaults.

Vancouver records increase in crime

Smoky conditions expected to improve in B.C.

Smoky conditions expected to improve in B.C.
Anyone with chronic underlying health conditions or respiratory infections, including COVID-19, is advised to limit or postpone physical activity outdoors until conditions improve.

Smoky conditions expected to improve in B.C.

Suspicious activity on CRA accounts after attack

Suspicious activity on CRA accounts after attack
The treasury says the previously-announced attacks targeted CRA accounts and GCKey, an online portal through which Canadians access employment insurance and immigration services.

Suspicious activity on CRA accounts after attack

Court upholds N.L. COVID-19 travel ban

Court upholds N.L. COVID-19 travel ban
Lawyers for Taylor and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, which was granted intervener status in the case, argued that province had overstepped its authority and violated Taylor's charter rights.

Court upholds N.L. COVID-19 travel ban