Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Mar, 2025 12:24 PM
  • Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

British Columbia Premier David Eby interrupted the budget lockup today to outline some of the plans his government has to counter U.S. tariffs that threaten to upend the economy. 

Eby says his government will make sure that there is support in place for B.C. businesses to pivot to global and domestic markets. 

He says B.C. has all the resources the world needs, including clean electricity, critical minerals and agricultural products, and the best way to respond to the threat from the United States is to grow the economy. 

The premier says they'll do everything they can to keep food costs down as the value of the Canadian dollar sinks and they'll ensure that there is food security in the event that U.S. President Trump decides to attack Canada in different ways. 

Eby says this is a moment to take an attack and turn it into a source of strength, and it's amazing to see the sense of pride, courage and solidarity from Canadians.

B.C. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey said Monday that her budget will help brace the province against four years of "uncertainty and disorder" from the United States. 

Bailey says Trump's tariffs came "completely out of nowhere" when he announced them last November and they've already changed B.C.'s financial circumstances.

The NDP government has already cancelled its election promise of a $1,000 grocery rebate and frozen some public-sector hiring as it prepares for what Eby has called economic warfare by Trump.

The province goes into the trade war carrying a record deficit forecast of $9.4 billion this fiscal year.

Bailey said she isn't ruling out the province's first 11-figure deficit and she says now is not the time for deep cuts, but to plan for times of uncertainty.

The province's ballooning deficit saw S&P Global Ratings drop B.C.'s credit score last April for the third time since 2021.

Another agency, Moody’s, maintained the province's long-standing AAA credit rating but revised its outlook to negative.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries
The company operating British Columbia's ferries says divers have recovered a propeller that fell off one of its vessels and triggered an oil spill earlier this week, but notes it will take six months to complete the needed repairs. A statement from BC Ferries says the propeller from the 60 year-old Queen of New Westminster -- which weighs about 4,500 kilograms -- was pulled from the seabed Saturday morning after two days of recovery work.

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot
RCMP in British Columbia say they've found the family of a boy who was found barefoot and wandering alone in Whistler over the weekend. Mounties in Whistler say they responded to a report of an unaccompanied child, who they believed was about 12-years old, on Saturday night at Dairy Queen on Main Street.

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall
The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday. Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna
A 24-year-old woman faces a charge for what RCMP in Kelowna say was a home invasion where another woman was repeatedly stabbed. Officers responded to the call on Saturday and found a 28-year-old woman with life-threatening injuries after she had been stabbed several times. 

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases
The federal government says Canada will challenge recent increases to softwood lumber duties by the United States. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says Canada has taken steps to launch two legal challenges under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou
Sources in the Official Opposition BC United party have leaked a file on the "extremism" of the B.C. Conservatives' executive director, Angelo Isidorou, less than two weeks after the parties' leaders announced a deal to work together.

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou