Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Two Calgary Men Convicted In Elaborate Ponzi Scheme Sentenced To 12 Years Each

The Canadian Press, 28 Jul, 2015 11:49 AM
    CALGARY — A judge has sentenced two men to 12 years in prison for one of the largest Ponzi schemes in Canadian history.
     
    Gary Sorenson, 71, and Milowe Brost, 61, were found guilty of fraud and theft in February for an elaborate, multimillion-dollar scheme in which investors were promised unrealistic returns.
     
    Brost was also found guilty of money laundering for which he received a separate, but concurrent, sentence.
     
    More than 2,400 investors from around the world lost between $100 million and $400 million. Many people lost their life savings. The court received 600 victim impact statements prior to a sentencing hearing earlier this year.
     
    Court of Queen's Bench Justice Robert Hall also put a heavy restriction on the men and any financial dealings.
     
    "Each of the offenders is prohibited from seeking, obtaining or continuing any employment or becoming a volunteer in any capacity that involves having authority over the real property, money or valuable security of another person for a period of 20 years," Hall read in Calgary court Tuesday. 
     
    Ponzi schemes involve taking funds from new investors and using them to pay old ones.
     
    The Crown was asking the judge to sentence both men to 14 years in prison — the maximum sentence allowed.
     
    Lawyers for the two fraudsters were asking for something in the eight- to 10-year range and pointed out the two were likely to die in jail.
     
    One set of fraud and theft offences took place between 1999 and 2008. They involved companies named Syndicated Gold Depository SA, Base Metals Corp. LLC, Bahama Resource Alliance Ltd. and Merendon Mining Corp. Ltd.
     
    More wrongdoing took place between 2004 and 2005 with a company called Strategic Metals Corp.
     
    Investors were promised a 34 per cent annual return on an investment of $99,000, which was supposed to grow to just over $1 million within eight years. They were told that the business involved selling gold for refining and that it was "low risk.''

    MORE National ARTICLES

    IKEA Monkey Won't Face Eviction From Sanctuary After New Donor Comes Forward

    IKEA Monkey Won't Face Eviction From Sanctuary After New Donor Comes Forward
    Darwin the monkey — who shot to fame in December 2012 when he was found wandering outside a Toronto Ikea in a shearling coat — has been living at Story Book Farm Primate Sanctuary since a court placed him there.

    IKEA Monkey Won't Face Eviction From Sanctuary After New Donor Comes Forward

    Vancouver's Stanley Park Hosts Outdoor Movies, Musicals This Summer

    Vancouver's Stanley Park Hosts Outdoor Movies, Musicals This Summer
    VANCOUVER — This summer's lineup of outdoor movies and musicals in Stanley Park ranges from Broadway hits to Hollywood blockbusters.

    Vancouver's Stanley Park Hosts Outdoor Movies, Musicals This Summer

    Three Private Bills Up For Final Vote On Last Day Before Senate Rises

    Three Private Bills Up For Final Vote On Last Day Before Senate Rises
    The government used its majority in the Senate to shut off debate and force a final vote on Bill C-377 that's set for later today.

    Three Private Bills Up For Final Vote On Last Day Before Senate Rises

    Fabric Stamp From Canada Post Honours Canadian Flag's 50th Anniversary

    Fabric Stamp From Canada Post Honours Canadian Flag's 50th Anniversary
    Canada Post created the large, nine by 14 centimetre stamp as the Maple Leaf flag marked its 50th anniversary earlier this year.

    Fabric Stamp From Canada Post Honours Canadian Flag's 50th Anniversary

    SIU Identifies Drowned Man In Ottawa As Suspect In London Cellphone Death

    SIU Identifies Drowned Man In Ottawa As Suspect In London Cellphone Death
    The Special Investigations Unit says the body has been identified as Muhab Sultanaly Sultan, 23, who went into the Rideau River last week, fell under and never surfaced.

    SIU Identifies Drowned Man In Ottawa As Suspect In London Cellphone Death

    FIFA: Talent Level At Women's World Cup Higher Than It Was Four Years Ago

    FIFA: Talent Level At Women's World Cup Higher Than It Was Four Years Ago
    The sport's governing body expanded the field at the 2015 Women's World Cup to 24 teams from the 16 that participated in Germany four years ago, and despite some lopsided scores in the group stage officials are confident the move was the right one.

    FIFA: Talent Level At Women's World Cup Higher Than It Was Four Years Ago