Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2024 11:34 AM
  • Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

The United Steelworkers union is calling Canfor Corp.'s decision to shutter two northern British Columbia sawmills a "kick in the gut" for workers who will lose their jobs, calling for the company to lose its forest tenure rights in the province.

The union's local chapter in Prince George, B.C., says in a statement that about 325 of the 500 workers at the Plateau mill in Vanderhoof and Canfor's Fort St. John operation belong to United Steelworkers.

The statement says the union membership was "devastated" to hear Canfor's announcement on Wednesday that the mills would close by the end of this year, removing 670 million board feet of annual production capacity.

The company blamed the closures on the challenge of accessing economically viable timber, as well as ongoing financial losses and weak lumber markets, but said the final blow was the big increase last month in U.S. tariffs that Canfor called "punitive."

Brian O’Rourke, president of the USW local in Prince George, says in the union's statement that while the union will fight for "every benefit and right afforded to members by the collective agreement," the province must stand up for the beleaguered sector and rural communities.

He asks when "tenure and timber rights held by Canfor" will be taken away "if they can’t mill that timber in those communities."

“There used to be accountability and a social contract for the forest industry to provide good-paying jobs to these communities in exchange for the right to harvest the timber. When is the government going to stand up for the public’s resource and the communities it supports?”

According to the USW release, Canfor has closed 10 mills in the province since November 2011, including nine in northern B.C.

“If Canfor wants out of B.C., and it sure looks like it does, then we need to find someone who will provide high-paying, community-supporting jobs for the right to harvest the timber,” says Scott Lunny, the union's director for Western Canada.

B.C. Forests Minister Bruce Ralston said in a statement the province would fight against "unfair duties and stand up for forestry workers" and agreed with Canfor that the U.S. Department of Commerce's decision to increase softwood lumber duties on top of low prices for lumber was hurting forestry communities.

Ralston said the forest sector was a "foundational part" of the province and the government would work to support local jobs. 

He said the province was focused on supporting the workers impacted by the closures, and is also working to increase access to fibre and support made-in-B.C. wood manufacturing.

In a written statement, B.C. Council of Forest Industries president Linda Coady said while "global market challenges persist," the province must do more to mitigate those impacts such as "setting a target for a consistently available level of harvest."

Coady said in her statement that there was a "need for immediate government action to address the root causes" of the threat facing B.C.'s forestry sector, with predictable access to fibre being the most pressing.

"Urgent action is required to defend B.C. producers, workers, and communities from the disruptive impacts of these unfair and unwarranted tariffs," Coady said.

"Without decisive intervention, the viability of this foundational industry is at risk."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Pilot dies in small plane crash in B.C.'s East Kootenay region, RCMP say

Pilot dies in small plane crash in B.C.'s East Kootenay region, RCMP say
RCMP say the pilot of a plane is dead after it crashed in British Columbia's East Kootenay region on Friday. Columbia Valley RCMP say in a news release that they received a report of a small plane crashing on the Bugaboo side of the valley on Friday afternoon.   

Pilot dies in small plane crash in B.C.'s East Kootenay region, RCMP say

Two teens dead in Quesnel crash

Two teens dead in Quesnel crash
Two 17-year-olds have died in a crash 13 kilometres east of Quesnel. A statement from Quesnel R-C-M-P say the youths -- a male and female --died early Sunday morning.

Two teens dead in Quesnel crash

Video of dog mauling small goat prompts investigation in Merritt:RCMP

Video of dog mauling small goat prompts investigation in Merritt:RCMP
Police in British Columbia's southern Interior hope they can find the original owner of a small white goat that was fatally mauled by a dog. A statement from Merritt RCMP says an investigation began Nov. 24, when officers were alerted to an online post showing a pit bull in a house, violently attacking the goat as several people watched.

Video of dog mauling small goat prompts investigation in Merritt:RCMP

Post linking Poilievre, Winnipeg shootings 'inappropriate,' says Liberal House leader

Post linking Poilievre, Winnipeg shootings 'inappropriate,' says Liberal House leader
Government House leader Karina Gould says it was inappropriate for one of her Liberal caucus colleagues to ask whether there is a link between Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre and a fatal shooting in Manitoba. But Metro Vancouver Liberal MP Ken Hardie told The Canadian Press that he stands by his social media post and is not sorry he made it.

Post linking Poilievre, Winnipeg shootings 'inappropriate,' says Liberal House leader

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition
Two First Nations sisters are among four people who died in a shooting over the weekend in downtown Winnipeg. Officers were called shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday to a home where they found five people wounded. A man and woman were pronounced dead at the scene, and another man and woman died later in hospital. A 55-year-old man remains in hospital in critical condition. 

Sisters among four dead after Winnipeg shooting; man in critical condition

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall
Members of the public attending council meetings and other public events at Vancouver City Hall will now go through an enhanced security screening process. The city says in a statement that the change is responding to the evolving security environment and following in the footsteps of other Canadian cities that have adopted similar security measures.

Enhanced security coming to Vancouver City Hall