Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2024 11:34 AM
  • Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

The United Steelworkers union is calling Canfor Corp.'s decision to shutter two northern British Columbia sawmills a "kick in the gut" for workers who will lose their jobs, calling for the company to lose its forest tenure rights in the province.

The union's local chapter in Prince George, B.C., says in a statement that about 325 of the 500 workers at the Plateau mill in Vanderhoof and Canfor's Fort St. John operation belong to United Steelworkers.

The statement says the union membership was "devastated" to hear Canfor's announcement on Wednesday that the mills would close by the end of this year, removing 670 million board feet of annual production capacity.

The company blamed the closures on the challenge of accessing economically viable timber, as well as ongoing financial losses and weak lumber markets, but said the final blow was the big increase last month in U.S. tariffs that Canfor called "punitive."

Brian O’Rourke, president of the USW local in Prince George, says in the union's statement that while the union will fight for "every benefit and right afforded to members by the collective agreement," the province must stand up for the beleaguered sector and rural communities.

He asks when "tenure and timber rights held by Canfor" will be taken away "if they can’t mill that timber in those communities."

“There used to be accountability and a social contract for the forest industry to provide good-paying jobs to these communities in exchange for the right to harvest the timber. When is the government going to stand up for the public’s resource and the communities it supports?”

According to the USW release, Canfor has closed 10 mills in the province since November 2011, including nine in northern B.C.

“If Canfor wants out of B.C., and it sure looks like it does, then we need to find someone who will provide high-paying, community-supporting jobs for the right to harvest the timber,” says Scott Lunny, the union's director for Western Canada.

B.C. Forests Minister Bruce Ralston said in a statement the province would fight against "unfair duties and stand up for forestry workers" and agreed with Canfor that the U.S. Department of Commerce's decision to increase softwood lumber duties on top of low prices for lumber was hurting forestry communities.

Ralston said the forest sector was a "foundational part" of the province and the government would work to support local jobs. 

He said the province was focused on supporting the workers impacted by the closures, and is also working to increase access to fibre and support made-in-B.C. wood manufacturing.

In a written statement, B.C. Council of Forest Industries president Linda Coady said while "global market challenges persist," the province must do more to mitigate those impacts such as "setting a target for a consistently available level of harvest."

Coady said in her statement that there was a "need for immediate government action to address the root causes" of the threat facing B.C.'s forestry sector, with predictable access to fibre being the most pressing.

"Urgent action is required to defend B.C. producers, workers, and communities from the disruptive impacts of these unfair and unwarranted tariffs," Coady said.

"Without decisive intervention, the viability of this foundational industry is at risk."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Grieving B.C. parents warn of 'predators' after sextortion suicide of son, aged 12

Grieving B.C. parents warn of 'predators' after sextortion suicide of son, aged 12
Parents of a 12-year-old boy who killed himself last month after falling prey to online sextortion are urging others to talk to their kids to make sure they don't also become victims of internet "predators." Mounties in Prince George issued a statement Monday, more than six weeks after the boy died, to warn parents about the risks youth face on the internet. 

Grieving B.C. parents warn of 'predators' after sextortion suicide of son, aged 12

B.C. in court against pharma companies bid to certify opioid class-action lawsuit

B.C. in court against pharma companies bid to certify opioid class-action lawsuit
Reidar Mogerman, a lawyer for the B.C. government, told Justice Michael Brundrett on Monday the court should approve a class made of governments saddled with health-care costs related to the opioid crisis that has killed or injured thousands of Canadians.   

B.C. in court against pharma companies bid to certify opioid class-action lawsuit

AG blames B.C. Conservatives after SOGI protest tractor crash, IIO investigates

AG blames B.C. Conservatives after SOGI protest tractor crash, IIO investigates
The police watchdog is investigating a B.C. highway chase involving a tractor flying a protest banner against sexual orientation and gender identity programs in schools, something the province's attorney general called a "fringe" and "hateful" issue inflamed by the B.C. Conservatives. Surrey police said Sunday that one person was taken into custody after the tractor crashed with a cruiser and rolled on Highway 1.

AG blames B.C. Conservatives after SOGI protest tractor crash, IIO investigates

One person in police custody after tractor rolls over on Highway 1 in Surrey

One person in police custody after tractor rolls over on Highway 1 in Surrey
One person is in police custody after a tractor rolled over on Surrey's Highway 1. BC Highway Patrol members encountered a person driving a tractor on Highway 1 at approximately 12:35pm on Saturday.  

One person in police custody after tractor rolls over on Highway 1 in Surrey

Avian flu detected at 2 Abbotsford farms

Avian flu detected at 2 Abbotsford farms
Avian flu has been identified at two more commercial poultry farms in Abbotsford. Figures from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency show there have been 44 B-C outbreaks of avian flu since October 20th.

Avian flu detected at 2 Abbotsford farms

Rogers Sugar seeks mediation to end strike

Rogers Sugar seeks mediation to end strike
A statement from the company says it has applied to the BC Labour Relations Board in the hope that mediation can break the impasse in the contract talks. One-hundred-and-38 members of the Public and Private Workers of Canada Local 8 have been off the job since September 28th -- and Rogers Sugar says the union has agreed to the mediation application.

Rogers Sugar seeks mediation to end strike