Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2024 11:34 AM
  • Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

The United Steelworkers union is calling Canfor Corp.'s decision to shutter two northern British Columbia sawmills a "kick in the gut" for workers who will lose their jobs, calling for the company to lose its forest tenure rights in the province.

The union's local chapter in Prince George, B.C., says in a statement that about 325 of the 500 workers at the Plateau mill in Vanderhoof and Canfor's Fort St. John operation belong to United Steelworkers.

The statement says the union membership was "devastated" to hear Canfor's announcement on Wednesday that the mills would close by the end of this year, removing 670 million board feet of annual production capacity.

The company blamed the closures on the challenge of accessing economically viable timber, as well as ongoing financial losses and weak lumber markets, but said the final blow was the big increase last month in U.S. tariffs that Canfor called "punitive."

Brian O’Rourke, president of the USW local in Prince George, says in the union's statement that while the union will fight for "every benefit and right afforded to members by the collective agreement," the province must stand up for the beleaguered sector and rural communities.

He asks when "tenure and timber rights held by Canfor" will be taken away "if they can’t mill that timber in those communities."

“There used to be accountability and a social contract for the forest industry to provide good-paying jobs to these communities in exchange for the right to harvest the timber. When is the government going to stand up for the public’s resource and the communities it supports?”

According to the USW release, Canfor has closed 10 mills in the province since November 2011, including nine in northern B.C.

“If Canfor wants out of B.C., and it sure looks like it does, then we need to find someone who will provide high-paying, community-supporting jobs for the right to harvest the timber,” says Scott Lunny, the union's director for Western Canada.

B.C. Forests Minister Bruce Ralston said in a statement the province would fight against "unfair duties and stand up for forestry workers" and agreed with Canfor that the U.S. Department of Commerce's decision to increase softwood lumber duties on top of low prices for lumber was hurting forestry communities.

Ralston said the forest sector was a "foundational part" of the province and the government would work to support local jobs. 

He said the province was focused on supporting the workers impacted by the closures, and is also working to increase access to fibre and support made-in-B.C. wood manufacturing.

In a written statement, B.C. Council of Forest Industries president Linda Coady said while "global market challenges persist," the province must do more to mitigate those impacts such as "setting a target for a consistently available level of harvest."

Coady said in her statement that there was a "need for immediate government action to address the root causes" of the threat facing B.C.'s forestry sector, with predictable access to fibre being the most pressing.

"Urgent action is required to defend B.C. producers, workers, and communities from the disruptive impacts of these unfair and unwarranted tariffs," Coady said.

"Without decisive intervention, the viability of this foundational industry is at risk."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's high court to rule if bankruptcy wipes out court-ordered fines in B.C. case

Canada's high court to rule if bankruptcy wipes out court-ordered fines in B.C. case
The Supreme Court of Canada has set a December date to hear an appeal from a British Columbia couple who argue their declaration of bankruptcy should wipe out millions of dollars in court-ordered fines owed to provincial securities authorities. The case of Thalbinder Singh Poonian and Shailu Poonian has been scheduled for Dec. 6 after Canada's highest court granted leave to appeal earlier this year.

Canada's high court to rule if bankruptcy wipes out court-ordered fines in B.C. case

City of Penticton lifts evacuation order for homes threatened by precarious rock

City of Penticton lifts evacuation order for homes threatened by precarious rock
Kristen Dixon, director of Penticton's Emergency Operations Centre, says the wall provides a "buffer" as crews work to secure the rock, which was discovered earlier this week with a large crack, leading to fears it would break off and damage nearby homes. The city says crews are set to begin stabilizing the rock, but the work could take several weeks to finish. 

City of Penticton lifts evacuation order for homes threatened by precarious rock

B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley stays in custody after skipping court date

B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley stays in custody after skipping court date
A high-risk sex offender arrested by Vancouver police after a 10-day manhunt earlier this month remains in custody awaiting his next court date. Randall Hopley was to appear in court on Friday, but his case was put off until Dec. 8 in British Columbia provincial court. 

B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley stays in custody after skipping court date

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education
The latest labour market survey for British Columbia says 75 per cent of the one million jobs needed over the next decade will require some level of post-secondary education or training.  The survey says about 650,000 of the openings will be to replace those leaving the workforce, while the rest will be created through economic growth. 

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Darpan's 10 with Surrey Police Service Chief Constable Norm Lipinski

Darpan's 10 with Surrey Police Service Chief Constable Norm Lipinski
Hear from SPS Chief Constable Norm Lipinski on policing, public safety, and policing plans for Surrey in 2024. 

Darpan's 10 with Surrey Police Service Chief Constable Norm Lipinski

Liberals accuse Poilievre of 'riling' up Canadians in border crash comments

Liberals accuse Poilievre of 'riling' up Canadians in border crash comments
The Opposition leader presented what he called "common sense Conservative measures" during a news conference at a Toronto synagogue, which would include re-evaluating Canada's terrorism threat level and creating an anti-hate network for faith communities. Jewish Canadians have reported a sharp rise in antisemitism and violence against synagogues and schools since Hamas militants killed 1,200 people, including hundreds of civilians, in Israel on Oct. 7.  

Liberals accuse Poilievre of 'riling' up Canadians in border crash comments