Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union says Canada Post offers 'fall short' as strike deadline nears

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 May, 2025 10:34 AM
  • Union says Canada Post offers 'fall short' as strike deadline nears

The union representing about 55,000 Canada Post employees said the latest offers from the postal service "fall short" with hours to go until a looming strike deadline.

Canada Post meanwhile said Thursday it's already seeing mail volumes decline ahead of another possible labour disruption and is pushing for an urgent resolution.

Spokesperson Lisa Liu said Canada Post hasn't yet received a response from the union about its proposals issued a day earlier.

The postal service is ready to resume bargaining "as soon as possible" with a mediator at the table, she said.

"We remain hopeful that negotiations can resume," Liu said. "Further delays or another strike would have a major impact on employees, small businesses and the millions of Canadians who rely on the postal system."

In a bulletin posted late Wednesday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers said it is still reviewing proposals tabled by the Crown corporation earlier in the day.

But it identified a number of areas where the offers disappoint, namely on wages and cost-of-living adjustments.

Canada Post's offers amount to a little more than 13 per cent in wage increases over four years, where the union was looking for closer to 19 per cent to catch up after years of rampant inflation.

The union also raised concerns about Canada Post's pitch to include more part-time staff and introduce "dynamic routing" — a model that could see mail delivery routes change on a daily basis to adjust to varying conditions — without established rules governing the system.

CUPW also argued that the six extra personal days on offer are "window dressing" and already allotted in the Canada Labour Code.

The union also took issue with a pitch to remove workers' "five-minute wash-up time."

Without an agreement in place by the end of Thursday, CUPW members are set to go on strike shortly after midnight.

Canada Post rejected CUPW's call for a two-week "truce" that would have given the union time to review the new offers in detail.

If postal workers do walk off the job, it would be the second time in less than six months.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico
U.S. President Donald Trump has imposed tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico — a 25 per cent across-the-board levy, with a lower 10 per cent charge on Canadian energy — triggering a continental trade war. Here is the latest news (all times eastern):

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods from Canada and Mexico

Trump announces one-month pause on Mexican tariffs, no move on Canada

Trump announces one-month pause on Mexican tariffs, no move on Canada
U.S. President Donald Trump says Mexico will get a one-month pause on tariffs for imports under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement on trade. In a social media post, Trump says he made the decision after speaking with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum today, adding Mexico has worked with the U.S. on border security.

Trump announces one-month pause on Mexican tariffs, no move on Canada

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government
The British Columbia and federal governments have signed a four-year, $670-million pharmacare agreement, giving universal access to contraceptive and diabetes medications. The plan will support nearly 550,000 B.C. residents with diabetes and provide 1.3 million people with a range of contraceptives.

B.C. signs $670-million pharmacare agreement with federal government

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks
Another earthquake has shaken Victoria, becoming at least the third felt in British Columbia's capital in less than two weeks. Earthquakes Canada says the magnitude 3.9 earthquake occurred about 58 kilometres south of Victoria, at 4:18 p.m. on Wednesday.

Another earthquake felt on B.C.'s south coast, third in two weeks

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the government is making contingency plans to reduce the province's reliance on electricity from the United States after the start of the continental trade war. The premier said B.C. had been forced into contingency planning after Ontario Premier Doug Ford threatened to cut off electricity it provides three border states, resulting in concerns the U.S. could respond in kind.

Eby says B.C. making contingency plans to reduce reliance on U.S. electricity

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack
RCMP in Chilliwack say a three-year-old child has died in a "tragic motor vehicle collision." Police say the child was a pedestrian at the intersection of Vedder and Petewawa roads when he or she was hit on Wednesday. 

Three-year-old child dies in pedestrian accident in Chilliwack