Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Aug, 2025 10:54 AM
  • Union vote on Canada Post contract offer set to wrap up Friday afternoon

Unionized workers at Canada Post are due to wind up voting on the Crown corporation's latest contract Friday afternoon.

Voting is set to wrap up at 5 p.m., with results expected to be shared shortly after.

The offer includes wage hikes of about 13 per cent over four years but also adds part-time workers that Canada Post has said are necessary to keep the postal service afloat.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has urged the roughly 55,000 postal service workers it represents to reject the proposal. 

If workers reject the offer, the union has said it will immediately contact management and invite them to return to the bargaining table. It warns further strike or lockout actions could risk the government intervening with back-to-work legislation or a binding arbitration order.

The union believes a strong no vote would not only reject the offer but also protect the integrity of the bargaining process.

"If this vote passes, we give Canada Post the green light to steamroll workers now and in the future," union national president Jan Simpson wrote in a letter to members in mid-July.

Canada Post has said the offer reflects the company's "current realities while protecting items that are important to employees" and accounting for "needed changes to help begin to rebuild the company’s parcel business."

"We know the ongoing labour uncertainty has had a significant impact on our customers and that they’ve had to adapt their business operations. This is not the position we wanted to put them in," the company said in a July statement. 

"Our intent has always been to reach negotiated agreements that will enable us to move forward and better serve Canadians and Canadian businesses."

The Crown corporation has previously said its operating losses amounted to $10 million a day in June.

The vote, which opened July 21, is being administered by the Canada Industrial Relations Board, which stepped in after federal Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu intervened in the labour dispute.

Canada Post and the union have been at odds with one another for more than a year and a half.

Last holiday season, postal workers went on strike, leaving mail and parcels undelivered and many post offices closed.

They returned to work the week before Christmas, when the labour minister established a process with the Canada Industrial Relations Board to assess the likelihood of Canada Post and the union reaching an agreement by the end of 2024.

The board, led by Commissioner William Kaplan, eventually found that Canada Post was essentially bankrupt. 

The board's final report tabled in May showed Kaplan recommended an end to daily door-to-door mail delivery and an expansion of community mailboxes, among other measures to keep the postal service in business.

He also endorsed Canada Post's model for adding part-time mail workers — one sticking point in negotiations — and largely blamed the stalled negotiations on CUPW defending "business as usual."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says
A prominent Republican senator says Canada’s recent investment in border security — announced in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threat — is tardy but welcome. James Risch, chair of the U.S. Senate foreign relations committee, says border security should be a Canadian policy priority and he wants to see Ottawa make sustained investments.

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Early morning shooting in Newton

Early morning shooting in Newton
Police in Surrey say they're investigating an early-morning shooting in Newton that left a home damaged by gunfire.  The Surrey Police Service says they got multiple calls about shots fired just after 3 a-m yesterday in the Newton area near the intersection of 142 Street and 72nd Ave. 

Early morning shooting in Newton

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd
Police in Langley say they had to use pepper spray and a Taser as they dealt with an "unruly" crowd of young people at an illegal street racing event in the city Friday night. 

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd

One driver dead at scene of multi-vehicle crash on Metro Vancouver bridge

One driver dead at scene of multi-vehicle crash on Metro Vancouver bridge
The Surrey Police Service says one driver is dead and others have been injured in a multi-vehicle collision on the Patullo Bridge, a key route in Metro Vancouver. Police say the crash around 8:30 a.m. Sunday involved five vehicles, including a bus on the east end of the bridge.

One driver dead at scene of multi-vehicle crash on Metro Vancouver bridge

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years
The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year.  Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Chrystia Freeland pitches tariff response plan that would target U.S. businesses

Chrystia Freeland pitches tariff response plan that would target U.S. businesses
Liberal leadership candidate Chrystia Freeland said Monday that Canada can avoid massive U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods by scaring the Americans away from the idea. In a media statement, the former finance minister called on the federal government to release a list of $200 billion in retaliatory tariffs to prepare for U.S. President Donald Trump to make good on his threat to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian imports.

Chrystia Freeland pitches tariff response plan that would target U.S. businesses