Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

University Of B.C. Launches 5G Campus

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Nov, 2019 06:38 PM

    VANCOUVER - Rogers Communications and the University of British Columbia have fired up what is believed to be Canada's first 5G-powered smart campus.

     

    A company statement says the launch allows university researchers to test real-time 5G applications as Rogers prepares to unveil a national network of the ultra high-speed 5G mobile wireless system next year.

     

    The system is the fifth generation of mobile wireless, offering speeds of up to 100 gigabits per second, making it about 100 times faster than current 4G technology.

     

    It also has the potential for nearly instantaneous links between devices and cellphone towers.

     

    The university's Point Grey smart campus includes several 5G towers and a computing and data storage facility similar to the cloud, but it saves time and bandwidth because it's closer to where it's required.

     

     

    The smart campus initiative is part of a multimillion-dollar partnership with Rogers aimed at funding academic research in 5G applications and applied sciences.

     

    Rogers says several research projects are underway using the campus's 5G network, including development of earthquake and tsunami detection technology that takes advantage of the one- to two-millisecond connection time between transmitters and devices.

     

    Bruce Ralston, British Columbia's Minister of Jobs, Trade and Technology said the launch of the smart campus demonstrates the government's commitment to strengthening the tech and innovation sector and supporting training needs.

     

    "5G brings enormous opportunity for our province and the students who experience this hands-on training," he said in the statement.

     

    "We are excited to see what applications they develop during their time at UBC.”

     

     

    Rogers said it's continuing to test 5G in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver, while also upgrading its national 4.5G network with 5G-ready technology.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Suspicious Fire In Surrey, B.c., Critically Injures Two Children

    Police Say Surrey House Fire That Badly Injured Two Children ‘Suspicious’

    Suspicious Fire In Surrey, B.c., Critically Injures Two Children

    Ninth Homicide Of The Year: Brampton Man Found Dead Identified As 54-YEAR-OLD AJAY CHIBBER

    The victim, AJAY CHIBBER, a 54 year-old man from Brampton was pronounced dead at the scene.

    Ninth Homicide Of The Year: Brampton Man Found Dead Identified As 54-YEAR-OLD AJAY CHIBBER

    Search Warrant Results in Firearm and Drug Seizure, 23-Yr-Old Sanveer Singh of Mississauga Arrested And Charged

    On July 5, 2019, investigators, with the assistance of the Tactical Unit, executed a Criminal Code search warrant in the area of Central Parkway and Eglinton Avenue, Mississauga. 

    Search Warrant Results in Firearm and Drug Seizure, 23-Yr-Old Sanveer Singh of Mississauga Arrested And Charged

    No Tsunami Or Damage Reported After Multiple Tremors Recorded Off B.C.

    No Tsunami Or Damage Reported After Multiple Tremors Recorded Off B.C.
    VANCOUVER - A series of earthquakes off British Columbia's coast on Friday may be linked to a stronger quake in the same area earlier in the week, experts say.    

    No Tsunami Or Damage Reported After Multiple Tremors Recorded Off B.C.

    Overdose Prevention Opens Where Crisis Grows In Powell River, B.C.

    Authority medical health officer Dr. Geoff McKee says the contaminated drug supply has been devastating for Powell River and they've found many who die of overdoses in B.C. have hidden their drug use, only to die alone.

    Overdose Prevention Opens Where Crisis Grows In Powell River, B.C.

    Quebec Man Faces Charges In Rash Of Underwear Thefts From Clotheslines

    Quebec Man Faces Charges In Rash Of Underwear Thefts From Clotheslines
    Police Say A Quebec Man Who Stole Women's Clothing From Clotheslines Also Left Them A Note With His Contact Details Saying He Was Interested In Buying Their Underwear Or Swimwear.    

    Quebec Man Faces Charges In Rash Of Underwear Thefts From Clotheslines