Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Launches Toolkit To Help Businesses Ditch Foam Take-Out Containers

Darpan News Desk, 14 Nov, 2019 08:19 PM

    Vancouver is going foam free following Council’s approval of the foam ban by-law earlier this year. Starting January 1, 2020, the city-wide ban will mean businesses can no longer serve prepared food or drinks in polystyrene foam cups and foam take-out containers.


    The City has launched toolkits to help businesses find convenient, affordable and recyclable or compostable alternatives to foam. The toolkits are available in English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Vietnamese, Punjabi, and Filipino (Tagalog).


    A third party public opinion survey found that 86% of Vancouver residents believe it is important to reduce the use of single-use items such as plastic and paper bags, disposable cups and take-out containers.


    “Residents have told us loud and clear that they want to reduce waste from single-use items,” said Mayor Kennedy Stewart. “The people of Vancouver expect the City to demonstrate leadership when it comes to environmental initiatives, and the elimination of foam take-out containers is a step in that direction. As we take strides towards our zero waste 2040 goal, it’s critical to bring businesses along – the toolkits are here to help businesses transition to more sustainable options.”

     

    The business toolkits include:

     

    Packaging guidelines to help businesses find recyclable and compostable alternatives


    Details on compostable and degradable plastics, which are not accepted in either the City’s Green Bin program or Recycle BC’s residential recycling program


    Questions for businesses to ask their supplier


    Customer-focused posters and till toppers to notify of the city-wide ban


    Why ban foam cups and take-out containers?


    The remnants of foam cups and take out containers are frequently found in shoreline cleanups and as litter on our streets, parks and green spaces.

    The majority of foam cups and foam take-out containers are sent to landfill. When surveyed, only 6% of Vancouver residents reported that they bring foam to a recycling depot. Foam cups and foam take-out containers can break apart and when this happens in recycling bins, the foam and any other materials around it cannot be recycled properly.

     

    More action on single-use items coming soon


    The ban on foam cups and foam take-out containers is part of a suite of actions being taken by the City to reduce single-use item waste and achieve our zero waste 2040 goal. By-law details for plastic straws, plastic and paper shopping bags, disposable cups and disposable utensils will be presented to Council in late November 2019.


    Approved by Council in June 2018, the Single-Use Item Reduction Strategy is designed to drastically reduce waste, litter and the impact of items such as shopping bags, take-out containers, drink cups, straws and utensils.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Cops For Cancer - Tour De Rock Cyclists Ready To Ride

    Each September, following months of arduous training, over 100 committed law enforcement and emergency services personnel spend up to two weeks cycling across the province. 

    Cops For Cancer - Tour De Rock Cyclists Ready To Ride

    Improvements Coming For Kootenay River Bridge

    Important rehabilitation work will begin this week to improve the reliability and extend the service life of the Kootenay River bridge on Highway 3.

    Improvements Coming For Kootenay River Bridge

    Impaired Driver At The Wheel Of Hit And Run That Critically Injured Boy In Langley, Police Say

    The 12 year-old boy injured in Friday’s collision remains in critical condition as investigators piece together the events leading up to and during the tragic event.

    Impaired Driver At The Wheel Of Hit And Run That Critically Injured Boy In Langley, Police Say

    Delta Police Say No Property Damage Or Injuries, No Shell Casings Located After ‘Shots Fired’ Reports

    Delta Police responded three reports of possible shots fired just before 10 pm Sept. 15 in the vicinity of the Big Splash water park, located on the northwest corner of Highway 17 and Salish Sea Drive.

    Delta Police Say No Property Damage Or Injuries, No Shell Casings Located After ‘Shots Fired’ Reports

    B.C. Man Killed Wife, Took Daughters To Church Before Smothering Them: Court

    KELOWNA, B.C. - A man who murdered his wife during an argument about his drinking then took his daughters to church before smothering them was sentenced Monday to 35 years in prison before he's eligible for parole.

    B.C. Man Killed Wife, Took Daughters To Church Before Smothering Them: Court

    Trudeau Seeks To One-Up Conservatives With Plan On Maternity, Parental Benefits

    Trudeau Seeks To One-Up Conservatives With Plan On Maternity, Parental Benefits
    OTTAWA - Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau sought to one-up his Conservative rivals Tuesday by promising new parents won't pay any taxes at all on maternity and parental leave benefits.    

    Trudeau Seeks To One-Up Conservatives With Plan On Maternity, Parental Benefits