Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Vancouver Launches Toolkit To Help Businesses Ditch Foam Take-Out Containers

Darpan News Desk, 14 Nov, 2019 08:19 PM

    Vancouver is going foam free following Council’s approval of the foam ban by-law earlier this year. Starting January 1, 2020, the city-wide ban will mean businesses can no longer serve prepared food or drinks in polystyrene foam cups and foam take-out containers.


    The City has launched toolkits to help businesses find convenient, affordable and recyclable or compostable alternatives to foam. The toolkits are available in English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Vietnamese, Punjabi, and Filipino (Tagalog).


    A third party public opinion survey found that 86% of Vancouver residents believe it is important to reduce the use of single-use items such as plastic and paper bags, disposable cups and take-out containers.


    “Residents have told us loud and clear that they want to reduce waste from single-use items,” said Mayor Kennedy Stewart. “The people of Vancouver expect the City to demonstrate leadership when it comes to environmental initiatives, and the elimination of foam take-out containers is a step in that direction. As we take strides towards our zero waste 2040 goal, it’s critical to bring businesses along – the toolkits are here to help businesses transition to more sustainable options.”

     

    The business toolkits include:

     

    Packaging guidelines to help businesses find recyclable and compostable alternatives


    Details on compostable and degradable plastics, which are not accepted in either the City’s Green Bin program or Recycle BC’s residential recycling program


    Questions for businesses to ask their supplier


    Customer-focused posters and till toppers to notify of the city-wide ban


    Why ban foam cups and take-out containers?


    The remnants of foam cups and take out containers are frequently found in shoreline cleanups and as litter on our streets, parks and green spaces.

    The majority of foam cups and foam take-out containers are sent to landfill. When surveyed, only 6% of Vancouver residents reported that they bring foam to a recycling depot. Foam cups and foam take-out containers can break apart and when this happens in recycling bins, the foam and any other materials around it cannot be recycled properly.

     

    More action on single-use items coming soon


    The ban on foam cups and foam take-out containers is part of a suite of actions being taken by the City to reduce single-use item waste and achieve our zero waste 2040 goal. By-law details for plastic straws, plastic and paper shopping bags, disposable cups and disposable utensils will be presented to Council in late November 2019.


    Approved by Council in June 2018, the Single-Use Item Reduction Strategy is designed to drastically reduce waste, litter and the impact of items such as shopping bags, take-out containers, drink cups, straws and utensils.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Two Senior Canadian Forces Members Charged With Sexual Assaults

    Two Senior Canadian Forces Members Charged With Sexual Assaults
    OTTAWA - Military police have laid sexual-assault charges against two senior members of the Canadian Armed Forces, including a lieutenant-colonel working as a reservist with the Canadian Armed Forces' recruiting group in Ontario.

    Two Senior Canadian Forces Members Charged With Sexual Assaults

    Federal Government Posts $14B Shortfall In 2018-19

    Federal Government Posts $14B Shortfall In 2018-19
    OTTAWA - The federal government ran a $14-billion deficit in 2018-19, according to its latest annual financial report, the third year in a row with a shortfall bigger than $10 billion.    

    Federal Government Posts $14B Shortfall In 2018-19

    Man Who Pleaded Guilty In Killing Of Unborn Child Wants To Withdraw Plea

    Man Who Pleaded Guilty In Killing Of Unborn Child Wants To Withdraw Plea
    MONTREAL - A Montreal man who pleaded guilty just 12 days ago to fatally stabbing his unborn child told a Quebec Superior Court justice on Tuesday that he now wants to withdraw his plea.    

    Man Who Pleaded Guilty In Killing Of Unborn Child Wants To Withdraw Plea

    NDP's Jagmeet Singh Seeks Urban Support With Housing Billions, Avoids Deficit Questions

    OTTAWA - Jagmeet Singh continued his push to win progressive votes on Tuesday by promising an NDP government would invest billions of dollars in affordable housing to help Canadians struggling to make ends meet.

    NDP's Jagmeet Singh Seeks Urban Support With Housing Billions, Avoids Deficit Questions

    Court Hears Nurse's Appeal Over $26k Fine

    Court Hears Nurse's Appeal Over $26k Fine
    REGINA - The lawyer for a Saskatchewan nurse who was disciplined for criticizing her grandfather's care on Facebook says the decision to punish her was based on numerous legal errors.

    Court Hears Nurse's Appeal Over $26k Fine

    Four Mounties Sue Attorney General Over 2014 Moncton Shootings

    Four Mounties Sue Attorney General Over 2014 Moncton Shootings
    MONCTON, N.B. - Four RCMP officers who responded to the 2014 shootings in Moncton, N.B., that claimed the lives of three of their colleagues are suing the attorney general of Canada for negligence.

    Four Mounties Sue Attorney General Over 2014 Moncton Shootings