Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Video shows Malik's killers waiting: police

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Jul, 2022 04:31 PM
  • Video shows Malik's killers waiting: police

SURREY, B.C. - A vehicle with "multiple" people inside was waiting for Ripudaman Singh Malik hours before he was killed in a parking lot in Surrey, B.C., police say.

Malik, 75, was one of the two men acquitted in the 1985 Air India terrorist bombings that killed 331 people.

He was shot in his vehicle in a parking lot not far from his clothing business on Thursday.

Sgt. David Lee of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team told a news conference that a white Honda CRV pulled up near the scene of the shooting at around 7 a.m. and Malik was shot and killed at about 9:30 that morning.

"The occupants were waiting for Mr. Malik," he said.

The same vehicle was found on fire a short time later not far from where Malik was murdered.

Police released a photo and video of the car driving through a strip-mall parking lot and asked for the public's help in finding out who was inside.

The driver can't be seen in the video and the sun's reflection on the passenger-side window makes it difficult to see if anyone is in that seat. The back windows are blacked out.

"We understand this is a high-profile international story, however we urge people not to speculate as to the motive. Our homicide investigators will be following the evidence," Lee said.

Malik and his co-accused, Ajaib Singh Bagri, were found not guilty in March 2005 of murder and conspiracy in a pair of Air India bombings that killed 331 people on June 23, 1985.

Bombs were placed on two planes. The first aircraft blew up over the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Ireland, killing all 329 aboard.

The second bomb that was to be transferred to an Air India jet in Tokyo exploded prematurely, killing two baggage handlers at the Narita airport.

Lee said he can confirm that several shots were fired but he wouldn't discuss the nature of the injuries because the investigation was ongoing.

An employee of a car wash near the scene of the shooting said he heard the shots and when he went outside he saw Malik, shot three times and unconscious in his vehicle.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. boosts Disaster Financial Assistance program

B.C. boosts Disaster Financial Assistance program
A statement from the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General says changes to the Disaster Financial Assistance program will increase benefits to those in need and pay some expenses right away, rather than waiting until all the bills have been submitted.

B.C. boosts Disaster Financial Assistance program

COVID-19 vaccine for kids under 6 now under review

COVID-19 vaccine for kids under 6 now under review
Moderna Canada President Patricia Gauthier said Friday the company sent an application to the Canadian vaccine regulator late Thursday for a vaccine to protect children between six months and five years old.

COVID-19 vaccine for kids under 6 now under review

Water thrown from a moving vehicle at three pedestrians from the Muslim community: Surrey RCMP

Water thrown from a moving vehicle at three pedestrians from the Muslim community: Surrey RCMP
On Wednesday April 27th, just before 11:00 p.m., Surrey RCMP received a report that water had been thrown from a moving vehicle at three pedestrians from the Muslim community, who were walking in the area of 124 Street and 72A Avenue.

Water thrown from a moving vehicle at three pedestrians from the Muslim community: Surrey RCMP

B.C. offers rights advisers for mentally ill

B.C. offers rights advisers for mentally ill
British Columbia has introduced legislation that would allow people to get independent advice about their rights after they've been involuntarily detained for treatment of a severe mental health disorder. The province's Mental Health Act allows those in crisis to be treated for their own protection, or the protection of others.    

B.C. offers rights advisers for mentally ill

B.C. committee recommends provincial police force

B.C. committee recommends provincial police force
The report tabled Thursday in the legislature says the committee was appointed amid widespread awareness of systemic racism in policing, a demand for more accountability and questions about police responses to mental health and addictions issues. 

B.C. committee recommends provincial police force

Canadian accused of naked dance at Bali site

Canadian accused of naked dance at Bali site
A translated news release from the Indonesian Ministry of Law and Human Rights says 33-year-old Jeffrey Douglas Craigen is accused of making an "immoral video at Batur Mountain," which strongly violates Balinese culture.

Canadian accused of naked dance at Bali site