Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Dec, 2024 04:36 PM
  • 'We have no back road': Panic in tiny Kootenay towns as B.C. ferry strike escalates

A sense of panic is growing in tiny southeast British Columbia communities around Kootenay Lake over fears they will be cut off from their neighbours and jobs by an escalating ferry service labour dispute, says a local businesswoman.

The West Kootenay communities of Harrop, Procter and Glade could see their cable ferry service reduced after a B.C. Labour Relations Board ruling permitted expansion of a strike that has already limited sailings on the major Kootenay Lake routes.

For some residents, the only alternative to the cable ferry routes that run a few hundred metres across the narrow lake is an hours-long drive, while other residents fear being cut off completely.

"Everybody's panicked here," said Melinda Foot, co-owner of the Procter General Store.

"It's a five-minute crossing that takes us over to all the rest of our communities, Nelson, Balfour," she said Monday. "The ferry we're taking here is our only exit. We have no back road. We have no logging road. We have nothing over here beyond this tiny little convenience store."

B.C. General Employees' Union workers have been on strike since Nov. 3, seeking wage increases, scheduling adjustments and extended benefits for auxiliary workers from employer Western Pacific Marine.

The labour board on Friday granted the union approval to reduce service of the Harrop-Procter ferry to eight round trips daily and 16 round trips for the Glade ferry, with the decision effective Monday.

The Harrop ferry usually runs on a 24-hour on-demand schedule, while the Glade ferry's regular schedule is 5 a.m. to 2:20 a.m. 

Western Pacific Marine says on its website that the ferries will run as usual until Jan. 2. A new schedule for the rest of January "and onwards" will be posted late Tuesday, it says.

"They keep telling us there will be a schedule of eight crossings but they won't tell us what that schedule is," Foot said. "People are in fear of losing their jobs. They're trying to put boats in the water and cross our water in the dark, in January."

About 600 people live in the Harrop-Procter area and about 300 people live in Glade, the labour board ruling said.

The decision to grant the union's application to "adjust" service levels and amend an essential service order for the cable ferries serving Harrop, Procter and Glade will have an impact on residents, but still maintains protection of community health and welfare, said labour board associate chair Andres Barker in the 15-page ruling.

"The amendments to the ESO contained in this decision will no doubt have some effect on the residents who rely on the ferry, and that may include some economic impacts and the inconvenience of planning set departure and arrival times like a typical ferry service despite previously being able to come and go at will," he said.

"However, I am satisfied that, based on the evidence currently before me, the levels established are those necessary or essential to prevent immediate and serious danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the residents of British Columbia."

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work

B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work
British Columbia has finalized regulations to provide a minimum-wage and basic protections for ride-hailing and delivery workers using app-based platforms such as Uber, DoorDash and SkipTheDishes. The Ministry of Labour says in a statement the regulations that will take effect on Sept. 3 are a first in Canada.

B.C. sets minimum wage, other rules for app-based ride-hailing, delivery work

B.C. wildfire risk expected to spike this summer after mild spring mitigates blazes

B.C. wildfire risk expected to spike this summer after mild spring mitigates blazes
A cool and wet spring in parts of British Columbia has helped suppress fire activity, but an expected turn in the weather will likely renew wildfire risk this summer. BC Wildfire Service lead forecaster Matt MacDonald says blazes across the province have burned about 300,000 hectares so far this year.

B.C. wildfire risk expected to spike this summer after mild spring mitigates blazes

Farnworth 'glad' Surrey joins completion of transition from RCMP to municipal force

Farnworth 'glad' Surrey joins completion of transition from RCMP to municipal force
Locke raised a white flag this week at a council meeting, saying she is disappointed but accepts the outcome of last month's B.C. Supreme Court judicial review that said the province can order the transition to the Surrey Police Service to continue.

Farnworth 'glad' Surrey joins completion of transition from RCMP to municipal force

B.C. motorcyclist dies after crashing into car, falling onto highway

B.C. motorcyclist dies after crashing into car, falling onto highway
Police say a motorcyclist is dead in a crash Wednesday that snarled morning traffic for Metro Vancouver commuters. Police say the truck driver didn't remain at the scene of the crash on Highway 99 near the George Massey Tunnel in Delta, B.C. 

B.C. motorcyclist dies after crashing into car, falling onto highway

B.C. driver dies from injuries days after windshield crash on highway

B.C. driver dies from injuries days after windshield crash on highway
The driver injured when a rock crashed through her vehicle's windshield last week on a Metro Vancouver highway has died. BC Highway Patrol Cpl. Melissa Jongema confirmed that the vehicle's 34-year-old female driver has died of her injuries after the crash on June 6. 

B.C. driver dies from injuries days after windshield crash on highway

Man charged with murder in stabbing death of Vancouver restaurant chef

Man charged with murder in stabbing death of Vancouver restaurant chef
Vancouver police have arrested and charged a 32-year-old man in the stabbing death of a Japanese restaurant chef near the city's Chinatown last week. Police say Timothy Isborn faces a second-degree murder charge following their six-day investigation.

Man charged with murder in stabbing death of Vancouver restaurant chef