Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Winter wallop continues across Canada, cancelling classes and stranding trucks

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Dec, 2025 02:19 PM
  • Winter wallop continues across Canada, cancelling classes and stranding trucks

Winter continued its late-December march east across Canada Friday, closing classes and stranding trucks.

Schools in many areas of southern Manitoba were closed for the second day in a row due to blowing snow and poor road conditions. 

Environment Canada said travel is likely to be hazardous because of near-zero visibility, and road closures in affected areas may be a possibility. 

Winter storm warnings have also been issued across north-central Ontario and into Quebec, where meteorologists are expecting between 30 and 50 centimetres of snow.

A truck driver stranded on a snow-covered highway south of Cochrane, Ont., for about 24 hours said the fire department had started to offer him and others rides into town to restock on groceries, shower and get a warm meal. 

While he was disappointed by the initial lack of official communication, Karim Forget was grateful for the help from firefighters.

“These are great people, very good-hearted people,” said Forget, in a phone interview from his truck.

He said about four feet of snow was piled against his tractor trailer packed with Quebec lumber destined for Alberta. Stranded trucks straddled the highway shoulder in both directions, he said.

“They’re very outnumbered so there’s not enough staff. It takes time, but they actually will get to us eventually and attend our needs.”

Several stretches of closed highways began to reopen on Friday.

Environment and Climate Change Canada said another Alberta Clipper was expected to dump upwards of 15 centimetres of snow across the southern parts of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

The weather office said strong westerly wind gusts of up to 70 kilometres per hour were also expected.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods

MORE National ARTICLES

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting
British Columbia's Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed to Surrey after a fatal "targeted, brazen shooting" earlier this week. Police say officers with the Surrey Police Service responded to reports of a shooting near the 7900 block of 120 Street around 5:25 p.m. Monday and found the driver of a vehicle suffering from life-threatening injuries.

Gang-related homicide investigators deployed to Surrey after shooting

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released
British Columbia Premier David Eby interrupted the budget lockup today to outline some of the plans his government has to counter U.S. tariffs that threaten to upend the economy. Eby says his government will make sure that there is support in place for B.C. businesses to pivot to global and domestic markets. 

Turn tariffs to source of strength, Premier Eby says as provincial budget is released

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs
British Columbia Premier David Eby says the province and the country is strong enough to weather the storm in the threat to Canada's sovereignty coming from a former friend. Eby took the unusual step of interrupting B.C.'s budget lockup to address how the province will respond after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on Canadian goods.

'All bets are off': B.C. pulls liquor, changes procurement after U.S. tariffs

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister
Brenda Bailey's budget is being handed down on the same day that Trump says a 25 per cent U.S. tariff will be placed on Canadian goods, while Canadian energy will face 10 per cent tariffs. Bailey says Trump's tariffs came "completely out of nowhere" when he announced them last November and they've already changed B.C.'s financial circumstances.

B.C. budget to buffer province against Trump's 'uncertainty and disorder': minister

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says Canada needs to retaliate against American tariffs by targeting U.S. goods Canada can make, does not need or can obtain elsewhere. Poilievre says Canada needs to cut taxes to counteract the domestic impact of tariffs and points to the carbon price, the capital gains tax and income tax.

Poilievre says Canadian counter-tariffs should go to fund tax cuts

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect
Canadians say they are ready to use their wallets to fight the trade war with the United States, which began today as President Donald Trump imposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods. Haligonians interviewed today said they are focused on buying Canadian whenever possible, and many said they had already stopped purchasing American products, as Trump had been threatening tariffs for months.

Canadians say they will stop buying U.S. products as Trump’s tariffs take effect