Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Winter wallop continues across Canada, cancelling classes and stranding trucks

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Dec, 2025 02:19 PM
  • Winter wallop continues across Canada, cancelling classes and stranding trucks

Winter continued its late-December march east across Canada Friday, closing classes and stranding trucks.

Schools in many areas of southern Manitoba were closed for the second day in a row due to blowing snow and poor road conditions. 

Environment Canada said travel is likely to be hazardous because of near-zero visibility, and road closures in affected areas may be a possibility. 

Winter storm warnings have also been issued across north-central Ontario and into Quebec, where meteorologists are expecting between 30 and 50 centimetres of snow.

A truck driver stranded on a snow-covered highway south of Cochrane, Ont., for about 24 hours said the fire department had started to offer him and others rides into town to restock on groceries, shower and get a warm meal. 

While he was disappointed by the initial lack of official communication, Karim Forget was grateful for the help from firefighters.

“These are great people, very good-hearted people,” said Forget, in a phone interview from his truck.

He said about four feet of snow was piled against his tractor trailer packed with Quebec lumber destined for Alberta. Stranded trucks straddled the highway shoulder in both directions, he said.

“They’re very outnumbered so there’s not enough staff. It takes time, but they actually will get to us eventually and attend our needs.”

Several stretches of closed highways began to reopen on Friday.

Environment and Climate Change Canada said another Alberta Clipper was expected to dump upwards of 15 centimetres of snow across the southern parts of Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

The weather office said strong westerly wind gusts of up to 70 kilometres per hour were also expected.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods

MORE National ARTICLES

Six illegal ride-hailing drivers fined more than $13K in one day, says Richmond RCMP

Six illegal ride-hailing drivers fined more than $13K in one day, says Richmond RCMP
Mounties in Richmond say a crackdown on illegal ride-hailing operators in the city has resulted in more than $13,000 in fines being issued to six drivers in one day. RCMP say officers have been working with the transport ministry to combat illegal ride-hailing operators who "pose a significant risk" to public safety.

Six illegal ride-hailing drivers fined more than $13K in one day, says Richmond RCMP

Engine failure, bucket led to deadly helicopter crash during Alberta wildfire: TSB

Engine failure, bucket led to deadly helicopter crash during Alberta wildfire: TSB
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says engine failure less than a minute into a flight contributed to a deadly helicopter crash during a 2023 wildfire in northern Alberta. It says the helicopter's pilot had been tapped to help with firefighting efforts in the Peace River region and took off with an empty water bucket suspended from a 45-metre line.

Engine failure, bucket led to deadly helicopter crash during Alberta wildfire: TSB

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is rejecting NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh's call for the federal government to bar U.S. President Donald Trump from coming to Canada for the G7 summit this June. At an event in Montreal today, Trudeau said he sees the idea of banning Trump as an "irresponsible" approach to governance and dialogue with other nations.

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine
The federal government is moving closer to gaining full control over a massive Russian cargo plane parked in Toronto and hopes to use the proceeds to support Ukraine. In June 2023, the federal government officially seized an aircraft that had been sitting on the tarmac at Toronto's Pearson International Airport since February 2022.

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader
A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader. Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program
The Canadian Dental Hygienists Association says its members are urging all federal parties to keep funding the national dental care program, arguing it's good for the economy. The association says access to oral health care and preventive care increases worker productivity and keeps people from taking sick days. 

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program