Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Nov, 2024 03:57 PM
  • With Trump headed to White House, Canada has its eyes on Chinese investment in Mexico

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday she shares the "legitimate" concerns of U.S. officials about Mexico becoming a back door for China to wedge its way into the North American trading regime. 

Freeland said members of the outgoing administration of President Joe Biden and advisers of incoming president-elect Donald Trump have expressed "very grave" concerns personally to her about the issue of China setting up shop in Mexico to muscle its manufacturing into the North American free-trade zone.  

"We are not a backdoor to Chinese unfair traded goods," Freeland said Tuesday. "However, the same cannot be said of Mexico." 

Freeland has sought to reassure nervous Canadians that the country is in a good position with the incoming Trump administration, even as it threatens new tariffs, because Ottawa is moving in lock-step with the U.S. on Chinese trade irritants.

She said Tuesday Canada is the "only country in the world which is fully aligned with the U.S. today when it comes to economic policy vis-a-vis China." 

Canada moved earlier this year to match U.S. tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles, steel and aluminum products, accusing China of overproduction and unfair trading practices.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau raised the issue with Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum in a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Brazil Monday. He called it a "frank" discussion.

“There are questions and concerns around some of the Chinese investments in Mexico — things that I highlighted directly with the Mexican president,” Trudeau said at a news conference Tuesday in Rio de Janeiro. "But I also know that Mexico is dedicated to continuing in this extraordinarily successful trade deal." 

While Ottawa bristles at Mexico by way of diplomatic blandishments, by far the boldest words are coming from two of Canada's premiers. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford turned heads last week when he suggested Canada should forge ahead on a bilateral trade deal with the U.S. if Mexico doesn't clamp down on Chinese auto imports entering into North America. 

On Nov. 12 Ford said that Mexico is "importing cheap products" from China, then "slapping a made-in-Mexico sticker on and shipping it up” into Canada and the U.S.

“What I’m proposing to the federal government: We do a bilateral trade deal with the U.S., and if Mexico wants a bilateral trade deal with Canada, God bless ‘em,” he said.  Alberta Premier Danielle Smith echoed that sentiment. While on the national TV talk circuit, she said she's "a thousand per cent" in agreement with Ford.

"We need to take a bilateral approach and put Canada first," Smith said on CBC Friday.

This discussion is happening ahead of a mandatory renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement that must happen by July 1, 2026.

Canada’s Ambassador to the U.S. Kirsten Hillman spoke briefly with media after attending a Canada-U. S. relations Cabinet committee meeting Tuesday, rebooted after the U.S. election to tackle emerging bilateral issues with the incoming Trump administration. 

Hillman said the border, trade and tariffs are major issues currently preoccupying the government. "We need to be prepared," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments

Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments
Attacks on aid workers are not just something that happens in war, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday, slamming Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's defence of a deadly airstrike on aid workers in central Gaza on April 1. Canadian Army veteran Jacob Flickinger, 33, was among those killed while delivering food aid for World Central Kitchen.

Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments

Federal government to launch $1.5B fund to protect affordable rentals

Federal government to launch $1.5B fund to protect affordable rentals
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says a new $1.5-billion housing fund will help non-profit organizations acquire more rental units across Canada and make sure they remain affordable.  The new Canada Rental Protection Fund will be included in the upcoming federal budget, to be tabled on April 16. 

Federal government to launch $1.5B fund to protect affordable rentals

Surrey man convicted of child exploitation

Surrey man convicted of child exploitation
A Surrey man has been sentenced to a conditional 18-month term to be served in the community after he was convicted of child exploitation. B-C Mounties say 34-year-old Joel Andy Daigle was identified by U-S police as a member of an international online group linked to trafficking pornography.

Surrey man convicted of child exploitation

April is Sikh Heritage Month and Darpan is launching Sikhi Saturdays

April is Sikh Heritage Month and Darpan is launching Sikhi Saturdays
Happy Sikh Heritage Month!! April is Sikh Heritage Month, which is an important time to celebrate and recognize the rich cultural contributions of the Sikh community in BC.

April is Sikh Heritage Month and Darpan is launching Sikhi Saturdays

Vancouver mayor disappointed by new location for overdose prevention site

Vancouver mayor disappointed by new location for overdose prevention site
The mayor of Vancouver says the city is disappointed about the new location of an overdose prevention site in the downtown core. Ken Sim says in a news release that the city was not consulted on the relocation of Thomus Donaghy OPS to Howe Street, and the site should have been moved to the nearby St. Paul’s Hospital instead.

Vancouver mayor disappointed by new location for overdose prevention site

One person hurt in second Vancouver shooting within days

One person hurt in second Vancouver shooting within days
One person has been injured in a shooting in Vancouver's downtown core, the second such incident in the area in less than a week. Vancouver police say officers responded to reports of shots fired at around 7:50 p.m. Wednesday, and found a person with serious injuries.

One person hurt in second Vancouver shooting within days