Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Shaad Randhawa Is Excited For 'Saand Ki Aankh'

    Bollywood actor Shaad Randhawa says he is quite excited about his upcoming film 'Saand Ki Aankh' that features Taapsee Pannu, Bhumi Pednekar and Prakash Jha.

    Shaad Randhawa Is Excited For 'Saand Ki Aankh'

    'I Am Working 350 Days A Year, Would Like To Take A Break,' Says Pankaj Tripathi

    'I Am Working 350 Days A Year, Would Like To Take A Break,' Says Pankaj Tripathi
    Last few years have been really busy for Pankaj Tripathi with back-to-back releases as well as outings on the digital platforms but the actor says he would like to slow down a bit 

    'I Am Working 350 Days A Year, Would Like To Take A Break,' Says Pankaj Tripathi

    Shahid Kapoor Aces 'Bad Boy' Look In 'Kabir Singh' Poster

    Tough, rugged, oomph and intense -- Bollywood actor Shahid Kapoor's look in the poster of "Kabir Singh", which was unveiled on Wednesday, is an amalgamation of all that and more.

    Shahid Kapoor Aces 'Bad Boy' Look In 'Kabir Singh' Poster

    Ishaan Khatter Calls Deepika Padukone Chewbacca

    Actor Ishaan Khatter had a funny reaction to actress Deepika Padukone's photograph and called her Chewbacca, a fictional character in the popular "Star Wars" franchise.

    Ishaan Khatter Calls Deepika Padukone Chewbacca

    Alka Yagnik Is Number One On This List

    Alka Yagnik Is Number One On This List
    Singer Alka Yagnik, a mother to a girl, is the most-streamed Indian artist-mom on Spotify.

    Alka Yagnik Is Number One On This List

    Rajkummar Rao Isn't In Bollywood For Money

    Actor Rajkummar Rao says money has never been a driving force behind his decision to do films. He picks his projects based on the content.

    Rajkummar Rao Isn't In Bollywood For Money