Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Ankita Lokhande Starts Learning Kathak

    Ankita Lokhande Starts Learning Kathak
    Actress Ankita Lokhande, who was last seen on-screen in the film "Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi", has started learning kathak as she always wanted to learn the Indian classical dance form.

    Ankita Lokhande Starts Learning Kathak

    Shekhar Suman To Essay Role Of Manto In Play

    Shekhar Suman To Essay Role Of Manto In Play
    Actor Shekhar Suman will be essaying the role of late Urdu writer Saadat Hasan Manto in Randhir Ranjan Roys play "Ek Haan".

    Shekhar Suman To Essay Role Of Manto In Play

    Vivek Oberoi Starrer PM Narendra Modi Gets A New Release Date

    Bollywood biopic "PM Narendra Modi" will hit the theatres on May 24, after the Lok Sabha Election results are announced, the makers said on Friday.

    Vivek Oberoi Starrer PM Narendra Modi Gets A New Release Date

    Trolled For Not Voting, Akshay Kumar Admits To Canadian Citizenship, Says He Has Never ‘Hidden Or Denied It’

    ”I really don’t understand the unwarranted interest and negativity about my citizenship. I have never hidden or denied that I hold a Canadian passport,” Akshay Kumar said in a message on Twitter.

    Trolled For Not Voting, Akshay Kumar Admits To Canadian Citizenship, Says He Has Never ‘Hidden Or Denied It’

    Sonali Bendre Wept For An Entire Night After Cancer Diagnosis

    Actress Sonali Bendre says she spent an entire night crying when she was diagnosed with cancer, and her husband and director Goldie Behl helped her cope up with the news.    

    Sonali Bendre Wept For An Entire Night After Cancer Diagnosis

    Punjabi Singer Diljit Dosanjh Thinks Twice Before Speaking To Kareena Kapoor Khan

    Bebo revealed that Diljit doesn’t talk much and she hopes it will change in the near future.

    Punjabi Singer Diljit Dosanjh Thinks Twice Before Speaking To Kareena Kapoor Khan