Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    After Playing PM Modi, Vivek Oberoi Gets A New Role: BJP Star Campaigner

    'PM Narendra Modi' has been at the centre of a raging controversy, with opposition parties alleging that its release was scheduled for April 5 with the intention of influencing voters ahead of the Lok Sabha elections.  

    After Playing PM Modi, Vivek Oberoi Gets A New Role: BJP Star Campaigner

    'Padosan' In IMDb's Top 100 Indian Films, Saira Banu Happy

    'Padosan' In IMDb's Top 100 Indian Films, Saira Banu Happy
    "I'm truly happy to learn that 'Padosan' figures in the count of top 100 films of India on IMDb," Saira said in a statement.    

    'Padosan' In IMDb's Top 100 Indian Films, Saira Banu Happy

    Irrfan Khan’s ‘Hindi Medium’ Sequel 'Angrezi Medium' Goes On Floor In Udaipur

    Irrfan Khan’s ‘Hindi Medium’ Sequel 'Angrezi Medium' Goes On Floor In Udaipur
    On Friday, producer Dinesh Vijan released a photograph that confirmed Irrfan's return to work.

    Irrfan Khan’s ‘Hindi Medium’ Sequel 'Angrezi Medium' Goes On Floor In Udaipur

    Ayushmann Khurrana Explains His 'Bushy Eyebrows' Story

    Actor Ayushmann Khurrana says his bushy eyebrows became an obstacle in his career initially.

    Ayushmann Khurrana Explains His 'Bushy Eyebrows' Story

    A Producer Asked Marathi Actress Shruti Marathe To Compromise. She Shut Him Down With Epic Reply

    Actress Shruti Marathe, known for her stint in Marathi films like "Asa Mi Tasa Mi" and "Premasutra",

    A Producer Asked Marathi Actress Shruti Marathe To Compromise. She Shut Him Down With Epic Reply

    Anupam Kher Met Ranbir Kapoor And Talked About Films, Life And Life's Lessons

    Veteran actor Anupam Kher met Ranbir Kapoor, whom he has termed as "India's finest" actor and said the two talked about films, life and life's lessons.

    Anupam Kher Met Ranbir Kapoor And Talked About Films, Life And Life's Lessons