Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    My Courage Is My Beauty: Acid Attack Survivor Laxmi Agarwal

    Acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal says her strength and courage define her beauty.    

    My Courage Is My Beauty: Acid Attack Survivor Laxmi Agarwal

    '15 August' Redefines Freedom: Madhuri Dixit Nene

    Bollywood actress Madhuri Dixit Nene, who has made her debut as a producer with the film "15 August", says the movie redefines the real meaning of freedom in various ways.    

    '15 August' Redefines Freedom: Madhuri Dixit Nene

    Patralekhaa Learning Kannada

    Actress Patralekhaa is excited about her Kannada debut with the film "Where is my Kannadaka?", and says she is enjoying the whole process of learning the new language.    

    Patralekhaa Learning Kannada

    Remixes Need To Co-Exist With Original Music: Ranveer

    Remixes Need To Co-Exist With Original Music: Ranveer
    Actor Ranveer Singh, who has come out with his independent music record label -- IncInk, says the remix culture has to co-exist with original music.

    Remixes Need To Co-Exist With Original Music: Ranveer

    Over 100 Filmmakers Urge People To Oust BJP

    Around 100 members of the Indian film fraternity on Friday issued an appeal urging Indians not to vote for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.

    Over 100 Filmmakers Urge People To Oust BJP

    Kangana Ranaut Says She Was Asked To Dress In Just A Robe And No Underwear For A Role In A Pahlaj Nihalani Film

    In the ‘Sit With Hitlist’ interview with journalist Mayank Shekhar, Kangana Ranaut talks about everything from her life as an actress to pursuing dreams of becoming a director and even takes on the ‘next generation’ stars like Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt.

    Kangana Ranaut Says She Was Asked To Dress In Just A Robe And No Underwear For A Role In A Pahlaj Nihalani Film