Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Gully Boy: Vijay Varma Channelled Amitabh Bachchan And Jackie Shroff To Play Moeen

    Gully Boy: Vijay Varma Channelled Amitabh Bachchan And Jackie Shroff To Play Moeen
    "The swag comes from my love for Mr Bachchan. I don't think it was in my or even Zoya's mind," said Vijay Varma

    Gully Boy: Vijay Varma Channelled Amitabh Bachchan And Jackie Shroff To Play Moeen

    Shahid Kapoor's Kabir Singh And Salman Khan-Produced Notebook Won't Release In Pakistan

    Shahid Kapoor's Kabir Singh And Salman Khan-Produced Notebook Won't Release In Pakistan
    "Our upcoming films Kabir Singh and Satellite Shankar too will also not release in Pakistan," said film producer Murad Khetani

    Shahid Kapoor's Kabir Singh And Salman Khan-Produced Notebook Won't Release In Pakistan

    Can't Wait To See Sophie Turner As Bride: Priyanka Chopra

    Actress-producer Priyanka Chopra on Sophie Turner's 23rd birthday, said that she cannot wait to see the "Game of Thrones" star as a bride.  

    Can't Wait To See Sophie Turner As Bride: Priyanka Chopra

    There Is No One Quite Like Akshay Kumar, Kesari Proves It

    The trailer of Anurag Singh's Kesari is every bit that patriotic juggernaut that we expected it to be.

    There Is No One Quite Like Akshay Kumar, Kesari Proves It

    Enough Is Enough, Says Vidya Balan On Pakistani Artiste Ban

    Though I have always believed that art should be kept away from all boundaries and politics, I think we have to take a stand now.

    Enough Is Enough, Says Vidya Balan On Pakistani Artiste Ban

    It's My Second Innings To Everything: Manisha Koirala

    "This is definitely my second inning to not only my work but my life as well. And so this would be my best phase," Manisha Koirala told IANS over the phone.

    It's My Second Innings To Everything: Manisha Koirala