Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Accusing Without Formal Complaint Is Not Authentic: Kailash Kher On #MeToo

    Singer Kailash Kher, who has been accused by multiple women of sexual harassment, says that in his view, if a person is not making a formal complaint and just continues to accuse, it is not authentic.

    Accusing Without Formal Complaint Is Not Authentic: Kailash Kher On #MeToo

    Film Piracy Can Now Land People In Jail, B-Town Hails Move

    Hindi film fraternity members like Siddharth Roy Kapur, Omung Kumar B and Indra Kumar see the Union Cabinet's approval of a jail term for film piracy as a significant move and an excellent decision for the industry's growth.

    Film Piracy Can Now Land People In Jail, B-Town Hails Move

    Won't Be Okay To Be Called Racist Because I'm Not: Esha Gupta

    Having faced a backlash on the social media for making racist remarks against Nigerian footballer Alexander Iwobi

    Won't Be Okay To Be Called Racist Because I'm Not: Esha Gupta

    Mohit Raina To Star In 'Bhaukaal'

    Mohit Raina To Star In 'Bhaukaal'
    Actor Mohit Raina has been roped in to play the role of a police officer in the upcoming police drama "Bhaukaal".

    Mohit Raina To Star In 'Bhaukaal'

    Farah Khan And Rohit Shetty, The New Team On The Bollywood Block

    Filmmaker Rohit Shetty has signed Farah Khan to direct an action-comedy film for his production house, Rohit Shetty Picturez.  

    Farah Khan And Rohit Shetty, The New Team On The Bollywood Block

    'I Have Always Found Success In Choices That Weren't Safe,' Says Shahid Kapoor

    Actor Shahid Kapoor says he has constantly gone out of his comfort zone, despite being advised to play "safe" and found success in choices that were unconventional and brave.    

    'I Have Always Found Success In Choices That Weren't Safe,' Says Shahid Kapoor