Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    'New Amsterdam' To Have Season 2, Says Anupam Kher

    'New Amsterdam' To Have Season 2, Says Anupam Kher
    Veteran actor Anupam Kher says he is excited that his medical drama series "New Amsterdam" has been confirmed for the second season.

    'New Amsterdam' To Have Season 2, Says Anupam Kher

    'Oh God, One More Remix': Bollywood Continues To Revive Old Songs

    The onset of 2019 has brought along one song recreation after another. "Aankh Marey", "Tere bin", "Chamma chamma", "Paisa yeh paisa" and the latest "Mungda", which was launched on Tuesday.

    'Oh God, One More Remix': Bollywood Continues To Revive Old Songs

    Waited For Time When Women Are Liberated In Bollywood: Sneha Ullal

    Actress Sneha Ullal believes that presently the entertainment industry is celebrating womanhood in the right manner and that is why she wants to come back to the business.

    Waited For Time When Women Are Liberated In Bollywood: Sneha Ullal

    Richa Chadha's Tribute To Nelson Mandela

    Richa Chadha's Tribute To Nelson Mandela
    Actress Richa Chadha has penned a handwritten tribute to late Nelson Mandela which will feature in "The House of Commons Book of Tribute".

    Richa Chadha's Tribute To Nelson Mandela

    Shweta Tripathi Trains With Circus Artists For Her Tamil Film Debut

    Actress Shweta Tripathi trained with real circus artists for her first Tamil film, "Mehandi Circus".

    Shweta Tripathi Trains With Circus Artists For Her Tamil Film Debut

    Will Be Congress Candidate In Mumbai: Shilpa Shinde

    Will Be Congress Candidate In Mumbai: Shilpa Shinde
    Television actress Shilpa Shinde said on Tuesday that she will contest the upcoming Lok Sabha election on Congress ticket in Mumbai.

    Will Be Congress Candidate In Mumbai: Shilpa Shinde