Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Would Love To Do Thriller, Action Films: Diana Penty

    Would Love To Do Thriller, Action Films: Diana Penty
    Having done films as different as chalk and cheese, actress Diana Penty of "Cocktail" fame says she would love to do a thriller and a "full action film".

    Would Love To Do Thriller, Action Films: Diana Penty

    Rajinikanth's Daughter Soundarya Confirms Her Wedding Is A Week Away

    Superstar Rajinikanth's daughter Soundarya Rajinikanth, who is known for helming films such as "Kochadaiiyaan" and "VIP 2'

    Rajinikanth's Daughter Soundarya Confirms Her Wedding Is A Week Away

    'Gully Boy' And 'Love Gen', Unique Show And Experience For Me, Says Ranveer Singh

    'Gully Boy' And 'Love Gen', Unique Show And Experience For Me, Says Ranveer Singh
    Actor Ranveer Singh, who combined ramp walk with live rap performance at the Lakme Fashion Week, says it was a unique show and experience for him.

    'Gully Boy' And 'Love Gen', Unique Show And Experience For Me, Says Ranveer Singh

    Harshita Doesn't Mind Her Show Being Compared To KJo's Film

    Actress Harshita Gaur feels good that "PuncchBeat" is being compared to filmmaker Karan Johar's "Student of the Year", but says her upcoming show is not similar to the 2012 movie.  

    Harshita Doesn't Mind Her Show Being Compared To KJo's Film

    Daughters Are Special: Amitabh

    Megastar Amitabh Bachchan on Monday penned a heartfelt post for his daughter Shweta Bachchan Nanda as her debut novel "Paradise Towers" has become one of the best-selling fiction books.    

    Daughters Are Special: Amitabh

    My Father Didn't Change After Winning Oscar, Says A.R. Rahman's Daughter Khatija Rahman

    Khatija Rahman, the daughter of Oscar-winning Indian music director A.R. Rahman, says that she is proud of her father not only because of his musical achievements worldwide but also about the values he has inculcated in her as a father.

    My Father Didn't Change After Winning Oscar, Says A.R. Rahman's Daughter Khatija Rahman