Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Jackie Shroff Wants To Do Everything

    Veteran actor Jackie Shroff says he wants to work on both -- the digital space and in films for the big screen.

    Jackie Shroff Wants To Do Everything

    I'M Really Excited For 2019: Sonakshi

    I'M Really Excited For 2019: Sonakshi
    Actress Sonakshi Sinha is really excited about the year ahead and says the audience will see her narrating different stories in 2019, which she hopes will be enjoyed across genre.

    I'M Really Excited For 2019: Sonakshi

    Proud Of Kangana For Making 'Manikarnika': Waheeda Rehman

    Proud Of Kangana For Making 'Manikarnika': Waheeda Rehman
    Veteran actress Waheeda Rehman is proud of actress-turned-director Kangana Ranaut for directing a film like "Manikarnika - The Queen of Jhansi" and also giving a great performance.

    Proud Of Kangana For Making 'Manikarnika': Waheeda Rehman

    It's Action Time For Swara Bhasker

    Actress Swara Bhasker is undergoing action workshops with action directors to prepare for the role of a police officer in crime thriller series "Flesh".

    It's Action Time For Swara Bhasker

    My Censor Board Is My Own Heart And Mind: Pooja Bhatt

    My Censor Board Is My Own Heart And Mind: Pooja Bhatt
    From producing a movie franchise like "Jism" to a film like "Cabaret", actress-filmmaker Pooja Bhatt has been redefining the image of women in Indian cinema since the 1990s.

    My Censor Board Is My Own Heart And Mind: Pooja Bhatt

    My 'Josh' Is Always High: Yami Gautam

    "My 'josh' is always very high. That's what has kept me going," Yami told IANS after walking the ramp for Gauri & Nainika at the Lakme Fashion Week Summer/Resort 2019.

    My 'Josh' Is Always High: Yami Gautam