Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    'Manikarnika' Crosses Rs 40 Crore In Opening Weekend

    Kangana Ranaut's "Manikarnika: The Queen Of Jhansi" minted Rs 42.55 crore at the box office in its opening weekend.    

    'Manikarnika' Crosses Rs 40 Crore In Opening Weekend

    Not Many Films Offered To Women Who Are Not From Starry Background: Aahana Kumra

    Not Many Films Offered To Women Who Are Not From Starry Background: Aahana Kumra
    Actress Aahana Kumra is happy with the work she has done and says there aren't too many films that get offered to women who are not from a starry background.

    Not Many Films Offered To Women Who Are Not From Starry Background: Aahana Kumra

    I'm Sure Kangana Will Make Mark As Director: Ankita Lokhande

    Manikarnika...", which released last week, tells the story of Rani Lakshmibai, one of the key leaders in the First War of Indian Independence in 1857. 

    I'm Sure Kangana Will Make Mark As Director: Ankita Lokhande

    Don't Believe In Labels, Says Sonam Kapoor

    Don't Believe In Labels, Says Sonam Kapoor
    National award winning actress Sonam Kapoor, who is gearing up for the release of her forthcoming film 'Ek Ladki Ko Dekha To Aisa Laga',

    Don't Believe In Labels, Says Sonam Kapoor

    India Should Lift Ban On Pakistani Artistes: Shafqat Amanat Ali

    India Should Lift Ban On Pakistani Artistes: Shafqat Amanat Ali
    Shafqat Amanat Ali wonders why there is no exchange of artistic talent between India and Pakistan when all other trade between the two countries is intact.

    India Should Lift Ban On Pakistani Artistes: Shafqat Amanat Ali

    Pressure On Me With 'SOTY 2', 'Baaghi 3': Tiger Shroff

    Pressure On Me With 'SOTY 2', 'Baaghi 3': Tiger Shroff
    Actor Tiger Shroff, who delivered a successful film in "Baaghi 2" in 2018, says he is under pressure for his forthcoming releases that include "Student of The Year 2" and "Baaghi 3".

    Pressure On Me With 'SOTY 2', 'Baaghi 3': Tiger Shroff