Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Rohit Shetty Obliged To Make 'Golmaal 5': Arshad Warsi

    Actor Arshad Warsi says there is no reason not to make the fifth installment of the "Golmaal" franchise and that director Rohit Shetty is obliged to make the film.

    Rohit Shetty Obliged To Make 'Golmaal 5': Arshad Warsi

    Javed Ali Finds Singing Songs For South Indian Films 'Very Tough'

    Javed Ali Finds Singing Songs For South Indian Films 'Very Tough'
    "Jashn-E-Bahara" hitmaker Javed Ali says that singing songs for south Indian films is "very tough".    

    Javed Ali Finds Singing Songs For South Indian Films 'Very Tough'

    Today's Political Discourse May Spoil Younger Generation: Gulzar

    Renowned filmmaker and lyricist Gulzar said here on Friday that the shrinking political discourse in the country may have an adverse effect on the younger generation, and can even "spoil" them.

    Today's Political Discourse May Spoil Younger Generation: Gulzar

    'In My Heart' Celebrates Unity That One Finds In Family: Nandana Sen

    Actress-writer-child rights activist Nandana Sen on Friday launched her new children's book "In My Heart" that deals with the topic of adoption.

    'In My Heart' Celebrates Unity That One Finds In Family: Nandana Sen

    Mohanlal conferred with Padma Bhushan; Padma Shri honour for Kader Khan, Manoj Bajpayee and Prabhudheva

    The awardees for the year were announced on the eve of India's 70th Republic Day.    

    Mohanlal conferred with Padma Bhushan; Padma Shri honour for Kader Khan, Manoj Bajpayee and Prabhudheva

    Took A Break From Acting To Focus On Direction: Parmeet Sethi

    Took A Break From Acting To Focus On Direction: Parmeet Sethi
    Actor-director Parmeet Sethi says he took a break from acting to focus on direction and writing.

    Took A Break From Acting To Focus On Direction: Parmeet Sethi