Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
Hollywood

Netflix Drops Show Episode Criticising Saudi Crown Prince After Complaint

IANS, 02 Jan, 2019 09:27 PM

    Netflix dropped an episode of its show "Patriot Act With Hasan Minha" from streaming in Saudi Arabia after the Saudi government complained that the episode - which is critical of the crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman - violated its cybercrime laws.


    In the episode, first shown in October, stand-up comedian Minhaj critiques the US' longstanding relationship with Saudi Arabia after the murder of the dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.


    "Now would be a good time to reassess our relationship with Saudi Arabia", Minhaj said, adding "And I mean that as a Muslim and as an American".


    Netflix received a takedown request last month from the Saudi government's Communications and Information Technology Commission. It removed the the episode from viewing in Saudi Arabia last week, reported The New York Times.


    Defending the decision, Netflix said in a statement: "We strongly support artistic freedom worldwide and only removed this episode in Saudi Arabia after we had received a valid legal request - and to comply with local laws."


    The episode remains available to Netflix customers elsewhere in the world, and it can also be seen by viewers in Saudi Arabia through the show's YouTube channel, according to The Financial Times.


    Minhaj has not commented publicly on the removal of the episode. But in an interview published in The Atlantic last month, he spoke of the fear he felt after creating it.


    "There was a lot of discussion in my family about not doing it. I've just come to personal and spiritual terms with what the repercussions are," he had said in the interview.

    MORE Hollywood ARTICLES

    Jennifer Lopez locates family in Puerto Rico

    Jennifer Lopez locates family in Puerto Rico
    Singer-actress Jennifer Lopez has been able to locate her missing relatives in Puerto Rico.

    Jennifer Lopez locates family in Puerto Rico

    Beyoncé, J Balvin drop 'Mi gente' remix for natural-disaster relief

    Beyoncé, J Balvin drop 'Mi gente' remix for natural-disaster relief
    Singer Beyoncé Knowles has joined hands with "Mi gente" famed J Balvin and Willy Williams for a new version of the Spanish song in support of natural-disaster relief efforts.

    Beyoncé, J Balvin drop 'Mi gente' remix for natural-disaster relief

    Kate Winslet still recites 'Titanic' lines with DiCaprio

    Kate Winslet still recites 'Titanic' lines with DiCaprio
    Actress Kate Winslet says she and actor Leonardo DiCaprio still recite lines from 1997 film "Titanic" to each other.

    Kate Winslet still recites 'Titanic' lines with DiCaprio

    'Terminator 6' to release in July 2019

    'Terminator 6' to release in July 2019
    The sixth instalment of Arnold Schwarzenegger-starrer science fiction franchise "Terminator" has been slated for release on July 26, 2019.

    'Terminator 6' to release in July 2019

    Was offered $500,000 to join Trump's presidential campaign: 50 Cent

    Was offered $500,000 to join Trump's presidential campaign: 50 Cent
    Rapper 50 Cent has claimed that Donald Trump's team had offered him $500,000 to make an appearance in his presidential campaign.

    Was offered $500,000 to join Trump's presidential campaign: 50 Cent

    Miley Cyrus won't leave US due to Trump

    Singer Miley Cyrus says she won't be leaving the US just because of President Donald Trump and will rather stay on as long as she has a platform to speak out against him.

    Miley Cyrus won't leave US due to Trump