Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
Hollywood

Netflix Drops Show Episode Criticising Saudi Crown Prince After Complaint

IANS, 02 Jan, 2019 09:27 PM

    Netflix dropped an episode of its show "Patriot Act With Hasan Minha" from streaming in Saudi Arabia after the Saudi government complained that the episode - which is critical of the crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman - violated its cybercrime laws.


    In the episode, first shown in October, stand-up comedian Minhaj critiques the US' longstanding relationship with Saudi Arabia after the murder of the dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.


    "Now would be a good time to reassess our relationship with Saudi Arabia", Minhaj said, adding "And I mean that as a Muslim and as an American".


    Netflix received a takedown request last month from the Saudi government's Communications and Information Technology Commission. It removed the the episode from viewing in Saudi Arabia last week, reported The New York Times.


    Defending the decision, Netflix said in a statement: "We strongly support artistic freedom worldwide and only removed this episode in Saudi Arabia after we had received a valid legal request - and to comply with local laws."


    The episode remains available to Netflix customers elsewhere in the world, and it can also be seen by viewers in Saudi Arabia through the show's YouTube channel, according to The Financial Times.


    Minhaj has not commented publicly on the removal of the episode. But in an interview published in The Atlantic last month, he spoke of the fear he felt after creating it.


    "There was a lot of discussion in my family about not doing it. I've just come to personal and spiritual terms with what the repercussions are," he had said in the interview.

    MORE Hollywood ARTICLES

    Number of women directors, producers in India not enough: Sophie Choudry

    Number of women directors, producers in India not enough: Sophie Choudry
    Singer-actress Sophie Choudry says that women are getting better opportunities now and there are numerous women directors, producers and media professionals, but still their number is not sufficient.

    Number of women directors, producers in India not enough: Sophie Choudry

    Kabir Bedi to star in The Broken Key

    The English film, shot in Italy, is a suspense drama. Kabir plays a professor of antiquities based in Turin.

    Kabir Bedi to star in The Broken Key

    Brad Pitt to co-produce 'He Wanted the Moon'

    Actor Brad Pitt’s production banner Plan B is teaming up with Cross Creek Pictures and writer Tony Kushner to develop an upcoming medical research drama film “He Wanted the Moon”.

    Brad Pitt to co-produce 'He Wanted the Moon'

    Dwayne Johnson's 'San Andreas' sequel in development

    Actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson might return to play the protagonist in the upcoming sequel to the 2015 natural disaster film "San Andreas".

    Dwayne Johnson's 'San Andreas' sequel in development

    In digital age, cinema doesn't shock anymore: Mahesh Bhatt

    In digital age, cinema doesn't shock anymore: Mahesh Bhatt
    Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt says that with the advent of digital technology, nothing in cinema shocks audiences anymore.

    In digital age, cinema doesn't shock anymore: Mahesh Bhatt

    I Believe In Dirty Talk During Sex: Khloe Kardashian

    In a bizarre statement on her sex life, reality TV star Khloe Kardashian says she likes it when m...

    I Believe In Dirty Talk During Sex: Khloe Kardashian