Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Marriage Has Been Fulfilling Experience: Bipasha

    Marriage Has Been Fulfilling Experience: Bipasha
    Marriage has been a fulfilling experience for actress Bipasha Basu, who will clock three years of marital bliss with actor Karan Singh Grover. She is lucky to have a husband like him because he does not believe in a man-woman divide.

    Marriage Has Been Fulfilling Experience: Bipasha

    Suhana Khan Proves That She Is The Internet Sensation Yet Again In This New Photo On Instagram

    Suhana Khan, the daughter of superstar Shah Rukh Khan, had her highlighter and tinted lip colour on-point during a recent outing with her friend.    

    Suhana Khan Proves That She Is The Internet Sensation Yet Again In This New Photo On Instagram

    Mindy Kaling, Priyanka Teaming Up For Wedding Comedy

    "Quantico" star Priyanka Chopra Jonas and actress Mindy Kaling, who has Indian roots, will team up for a new film, based around a big fat Indian wedding.

    Mindy Kaling, Priyanka Teaming Up For Wedding Comedy

    I Have Three Crowns On My Head Now: Neha Dhupia

    I Have Three Crowns On My Head Now: Neha Dhupia
    She won the Miss India crown in 2002, but after marriage (with Angad Bedi) and bearing a child (Mehr), Neha Dhupia feels she owns three crowns.

    I Have Three Crowns On My Head Now: Neha Dhupia

    Sonam Kapoor Is All Praises For Husband Anand Ahuja; Says ‘He Is My Cheerleader ‘

    Actress Sonam Kapoor Ahuja says her husband, businessman Anand Ahuja is her biggest cheerleader.

    Sonam Kapoor Is All Praises For Husband Anand Ahuja; Says ‘He Is My Cheerleader ‘

    Soni Razdan Faces Flak For Junaid Khan Tweet

    Soni Razdan Faces Flak For Junaid Khan Tweet
    Actress Soni Razdan faced criticism on Saturday from netizens after she tweeted about Junaid Khan who was stabbed to death on a train near Ballabhgarh in Haryana in June 2017. Social media users alleged that she was "creating fake news".

    Soni Razdan Faces Flak For Junaid Khan Tweet