Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Celebs Urge Voting By People With Disabilities

    Celebs Urge Voting By People With Disabilities
    Bollywood celebrities Dia Mirza and Esha Deol Takhtani have backed a campaign urging greater voting by people with disabilities in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.

    Celebs Urge Voting By People With Disabilities

    900 Artistes, Writers Vouch For Modi's 'Mazboot Sarkar'

    Over 900 artistes and people from the field of literature on Wednesday appealed to fellow voters to vote without pressure and prejudice

    900 Artistes, Writers Vouch For Modi's 'Mazboot Sarkar'

    Karan Wahi Excited To Explore Foot Fetish In Web Show

    Karan Wahi Excited To Explore Foot Fetish In Web Show
    Actor Karan Wahi says he is excited to explore the subject around foot fetish with a web show.

    Karan Wahi Excited To Explore Foot Fetish In Web Show

    Saqib Saleem Believes In Working On Himself

    Actor Saqib Saleem says he believes in working on himself and growing "personally or professionally".

    Saqib Saleem Believes In Working On Himself

    Direction Is Next 'Logical Step' For Tisca Chopra

    Actress Tisca Chopra, who is making her directorial debut with a yet untitled thriller film, says direction was the next logical step forward for her after acting in films over 26 years.    

    Direction Is Next 'Logical Step' For Tisca Chopra

    Uri: The Surgical Strike Actor Navtej Hundal Dies In Mumbai

    Actor Navtej Hundal, who most recently appeared in Aditya Dhar's "Uri: The Surgical Strike", is dead.    

    Uri: The Surgical Strike Actor Navtej Hundal Dies In Mumbai