Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    EC To Decide On Modi Biopic On Friday

    Addressing the media, Deputy Election Commissioner Sandeep Saxena said the poll panel has received responses from the producers of the film as well as from the Bharatiya Janata Party.

    EC To Decide On Modi Biopic On Friday

    Food Truck Concept Quite Exciting: Saif Ali Khan

    Food Truck Concept Quite Exciting: Saif Ali Khan
    Actor Saif Ali Khan who starred in a film called "Chef" and is a foodie finds the food truck concept quite exciting.

    Food Truck Concept Quite Exciting: Saif Ali Khan

    'Papa Kehte Hain' Actress Mayoori Kango Joins Google Ad Biz

    Former actress Mayoori Kango, who is remembered for her role in the 1996 film "Papa Kehte Hain", has joined Google India as its Head of Industry - Agency Partnership.

    'Papa Kehte Hain' Actress Mayoori Kango Joins Google Ad Biz

    Women Directors Often Discriminated: Paakhi Tyrewala

    Paakhi Tyrewala, who wrote and directed the Sikkimese feature film "Pahuna: The Little Visitors", says she faced hiccups in the journey as people did not take women directors seriously even just a few years ago.

    Women Directors Often Discriminated: Paakhi Tyrewala

    Amitabh Calls Himself Disciple Of Sivaji Ganesan

    Megastar Amitabh Bachchan, who is all set to make his Tamil debut with "Uyarntha Manithan", has called himself a disciple of late southern superstar Sivaji Ganesan.    

    Amitabh Calls Himself Disciple Of Sivaji Ganesan

    Tiger Follows His Dad's Footsteps On Fashion

    Tiger Follows His Dad's Footsteps On Fashion
    Actor Tiger Shroff, who is seen as a youth icon, has said he tries to follow his actor-father Jackie Shroff's footsteps when it comes to fashion.

    Tiger Follows His Dad's Footsteps On Fashion