Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Prateik Babbar Gets Directed By Wife In Music Video

    Prateik Babbar Gets Directed By Wife In Music Video
    Actor Prateik Babbar has been directed by his filmmaker wife Sanya Sagar for a music video for Shah Rule's "Move back".

    Prateik Babbar Gets Directed By Wife In Music Video

    Renuka Shahane Takes A Stand On Prostitutes

    Actress Renuka Shahane stood up for prostitutes when actress Suchitra Krishnamoorthi bracketed prostitutes and criminals in a tweet.

    Renuka Shahane Takes A Stand On Prostitutes

    Varun Dhawan 'Sad, Happy' With Conor McGregor's Retirement

    Actor Varun Dhawan says he is sad but happy with the retirement of Conor McGregor and says the professional mixed martial artist and boxer had changed the sport.

    Varun Dhawan 'Sad, Happy' With Conor McGregor's Retirement

    Malti Will Stay With Me Forever: Deepika Shares Her First Look From ‘Chhapaak’

    Deepika tweeted the first look from the film, directed by Meghna Gulzar. In the image, the "Padmaavat" star is seen with prosthetics of scars and burns on her face.

    Malti Will Stay With Me Forever: Deepika Shares Her First Look From ‘Chhapaak’

    Urmila Matondkar Of 'Masoom' Set For Political Role?

    Urmila Matondkar Of 'Masoom' Set For Political Role?
    Political circles are abuzz with speculation over famed Bollywood actress Urmila Matondkar's possible entry into politics as a Congress candidate in Mumbai, sources said on Monday.

    Urmila Matondkar Of 'Masoom' Set For Political Role?

    Shah Rukh Explores Dubai's City Walk - WATCH

    Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan explored Dubai's shopping-cum-entertainment hub City Walk in the quest to solve a riddle during his latest promotional campaign.    

    Shah Rukh Explores Dubai's City Walk - WATCH