Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    'Kesari' Is 2019's Top Opening Weekend Earner

    The film minted Rs 21.06 crore on its opening day, followed by Rs 16.75 crore, Rs 18.75 crore and Rs 21.5 crore on subsequent days, totalling Rs 78.07 crore, according to the makers of the film.

    'Kesari' Is 2019's Top Opening Weekend Earner

    No National Award For 'Manikarnika' Will Create Doubt: Kangana

    Actress Kangana Ranaut, who was last seen in "Manikarnika - The Queen of Jhansi", says that if she will not receive a National film Award for her portrayal of Rani Lakshmibai in the historical drama, then it will lead to questions on their credibility.  

    No National Award For 'Manikarnika' Will Create Doubt: Kangana

    Promoting Urdu But No Javed Akhtar?

    The decision by The National Council For The Promotion Of The Urdu Language to use Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan and Katrina AKaif to promote the language has triggered off a wave of outrage.

    Promoting Urdu But No Javed Akhtar?

    Congress Moves EC Over Release Of Modi Biopic

    The Congress on Monday moved the Election Commission urging it to not allow the release of the "PM Narendra Modi" biopic, saying that its purpose was "political" to get extra mileage in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.

    Congress Moves EC Over Release Of Modi Biopic

    Film Industry Comes Forward To Help Actor-Turned-Watchman Savi Sidhu

    Rather than facing the pain and humiliation of penury, the out-of-work senior actor Savi Sidhu opted to take on the job of a watchman at a high-rise building in the suburbs of Mumbai.

    Film Industry Comes Forward To Help Actor-Turned-Watchman Savi Sidhu

    Will Produce Only Clean Content For Web, Says Salman Khan

    Will Produce Only Clean Content For Web, Says Salman Khan
    Superstar Salman Khan said if he ever produced content for digital medium, he would make sure it catered to the family audience.

    Will Produce Only Clean Content For Web, Says Salman Khan