Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    'Kesari' Starring Akshay Kumar Collects Over Rs 21 Crore On Opening Day

    Actors Akshay Kumar and Parineeti Chopra starrer "Kesari" has raked in over Rs 21 crore at the box office on the first day of its release.

    'Kesari' Starring Akshay Kumar Collects Over Rs 21 Crore On Opening Day

    Not Contesting Lok Sabha Elections, Says Salman

    Not Contesting Lok Sabha Elections, Says Salman
    Superstar Salman Khan on Thursday denied that he was campaigning for a political party or contesting himself in the coming Lok Sabha elections.  

    Not Contesting Lok Sabha Elections, Says Salman

    Corruption Exists In All Fields: Kabir Khan

    Corruption Exists In All Fields: Kabir Khan
    "Ultimately, more than an opportunity, it becomes more important how you are utilising the opportunity. If you conduct yourself right and stay focussed on your game, you will become a successful professional," he added.

    Corruption Exists In All Fields: Kabir Khan

    First Look Out! Ajay Devgn Recreates His Phool Aur Kaante Stunt For De De Pyaar De - View Pic

    Actor Ajay Devgn has recreated the signature stunt from his debut film "Phool Aur Kaante" in the first look of his upcoming romantic comedy "De De Pyaar De".

    First Look Out! Ajay Devgn Recreates His Phool Aur Kaante Stunt For De De Pyaar De - View Pic

    Priyanka Welcomes Serena Williams On Bumble Fund

    Indian actress Priyanka Chopra has welcomed Tennis star Serena Williams to the Bumble Fund.

    Priyanka Welcomes Serena Williams On Bumble Fund

    One's Presence Is Felt By The Work She Does: Nimrat Kaur

    One's Presence Is Felt By The Work She Does: Nimrat Kaur
    Having successfully maintained a balance between her work internationally and in the Hindi film industry, actress Nimrat Kaur believes that one's presence is felt by the work he/she does and the statement it makes.

    One's Presence Is Felt By The Work She Does: Nimrat Kaur