Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Sameera Reddy Condemns Body-Shamers

    Sameera Reddy Condemns Body-Shamers
    Actress Sameera Reddy, who is expecting her second child with her husband Akshai Varde, has given trolls a befitting reply saying that everyone cannot be like actress Kareena Kapoor Khan.

    Sameera Reddy Condemns Body-Shamers

    Women Needn't Seek Male Permission To Travel: Dia Mirza

    Women Needn't Seek Male Permission To Travel: Dia Mirza
    Dia took her first flight and went to Thailand along with one of her female friends after winning the Femina Miss India beauty pageant in 2000.

    Women Needn't Seek Male Permission To Travel: Dia Mirza

    Why 'Kalank' Will Be Beyond Commerce For Karan Johar

    Why 'Kalank' Will Be Beyond Commerce For Karan Johar
    Filmmaker Karan Johar says the fate of "Kalank" will be beyond commerce for him since it is a project that was his "father's dream".

    Why 'Kalank' Will Be Beyond Commerce For Karan Johar

    A Smart Sidhu Reminder On Kapil Sharma's Show

    A Smart Sidhu Reminder On Kapil Sharma's Show
    Sidhu hasn't been a part of the show following an uproar over his remarks after the February 14 Pulwama suicide attack that killed 40 CRPF troopers.

    A Smart Sidhu Reminder On Kapil Sharma's Show

    Indian Media, Entertainment To Cross $33 Bn By 2021

    Indian Media, Entertainment To Cross $33 Bn By 2021
    The Indian media and entertainment sector revenues reached $23.9 billion in 2018, and are expected to cross $33.6 billion by 2021, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.6 per cent, said a study released here on Tuesday.

    Indian Media, Entertainment To Cross $33 Bn By 2021

    Is Parineeti Chopra Set To Be Cast In Ss Rajamouli’s RRR? Most Likely

    Parineeti said there are a lot of options for actors to choose from, content-wise.

    Is Parineeti Chopra Set To Be Cast In Ss Rajamouli’s RRR? Most Likely