Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Kriti Sanon Says That Being A Part Of Luka Chuppi Was A 'Very Instinctive Decision'

    Kriti Sanon Says That Being A Part Of Luka Chuppi Was A 'Very Instinctive Decision'
    Kriti Sanon is happy with the success of her latest Luka Chuppi and the actor says good reception of a film reflects the artiste and audience are thinking along the same lines.

    Kriti Sanon Says That Being A Part Of Luka Chuppi Was A 'Very Instinctive Decision'

    WATCH: Anupam Kher Turns 64, Parties With Robert De Niro

    WATCH: Anupam Kher Turns 64, Parties With Robert De Niro
    Veteran actor Anupam Kher, who turned 64 on Thursday, celebrated his birthday with Hollywood star Robert De Niro.    

    WATCH: Anupam Kher Turns 64, Parties With Robert De Niro

    ‘Kalank’: Alia Bhatt Shares Varun Dhawan, Aditya Roy Kapur, Sanjay Dutt’s First Looks

    Actor Varun Dhawan on Thursday unveiled the first official look of his character Zafar from upcoming period drama "Kalank".    

    ‘Kalank’: Alia Bhatt Shares Varun Dhawan, Aditya Roy Kapur, Sanjay Dutt’s First Looks

    Working With Ajay, Tabu Made Rakul Push The Envelope

    Working With Ajay, Tabu Made Rakul Push The Envelope
    Actress Rakul Preet Singh says teaming with veterans like Ajay Devgn and Tabu in Luv Ranjan's "De De Pyaar De" made her work harder.    

    Working With Ajay, Tabu Made Rakul Push The Envelope

    Arshad Is An Integral Part Of 'Pagalpanti', Says Anil Kapoor

    Arshad Is An Integral Part Of 'Pagalpanti', Says Anil Kapoor
    Veteran actor Anil Kapoor says actor Arshad Warsi is an integral part of the upcoming film "Pagalpanti".

    Arshad Is An Integral Part Of 'Pagalpanti', Says Anil Kapoor

    Ayushmann Discussed 'Article 15' Script With Taapsee

    Actor Ayushmann Khurrana says he discussed the script of the upcoming film "Article 15", directed by Anubhav Sinha, with actress Taapsee Pannu at the Delhi airport.

    Ayushmann Discussed 'Article 15' Script With Taapsee