Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Never Use Armaan As My Go-To Singer: Amaal Mallik

    Singer-composer Amaal Mallik, who often collaborates with his brother Armaan Malik, says he has no room for brotherhood over music.

    Never Use Armaan As My Go-To Singer: Amaal Mallik

    Dancing For Me Is A Small Part Of Acting: Arshad Warsi

    Actor Arshad Warsi, who has worked as a choreographer for stage shows and for the 1993 film "Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja"

    Dancing For Me Is A Small Part Of Acting: Arshad Warsi

    10 Years Of Delhi 6: Abhishek Bachchan Posts A Special Message For Cast And, Of Course, Masakali

    As 'Delhi-6' clocked 10 years of its release in the Hindi film industry on Wednesday, actor Abhishek Bachchan said the film has a heart, soul and a poignant message.

    10 Years Of Delhi 6: Abhishek Bachchan Posts A Special Message For Cast And, Of Course, Masakali

    Judge Me, But Don't Judge My Kids: Ajay Devgn

    Judge Me, But Don't Judge My Kids: Ajay Devgn
    Much like the children of other Bollywood celebrities, actor Ajay Devgn and Kajols 15-year-old daughter Nysa and 8-year-old son Yug

    Judge Me, But Don't Judge My Kids: Ajay Devgn

    Narayani Makes Debut In Supernatural Thriller Space

    Actress Narayani Shastri has taken up her first supernatural thriller TV show.

    Narayani Makes Debut In Supernatural Thriller Space

    Less Visibility Reduced My Fan Base: Gautam Gulati

    Less Visibility Reduced My Fan Base: Gautam Gulati
    Actor Gautam Gulati developed a strong fan base and became popular with his stint in TV reality show "Bigg Boss 8" in 2014.

    Less Visibility Reduced My Fan Base: Gautam Gulati