Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Kangana Ranaut Sports Khadi In 'Manikarnika'

    Besides Kangana, several others in the film's cast would also be donning beautiful ensemble Khadi costumes sponsored by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).

    Kangana Ranaut Sports Khadi In 'Manikarnika'

    I Believe In Living The Character, Says Sara Khan

    I Believe In Living The Character, Says Sara Khan
    Actress Sara Khan, who will be seen in 'Pyar Ektarfa', has said she believes in living the character while working in television or films.  

    I Believe In Living The Character, Says Sara Khan

    WATCH: 'Total Dhamaal' Looks Depressingly Crass

    For the boys "and I mean 60-year-old Anil Kapoor, 50-year-old Ajay Devgn", and the rest who are seen behaving like retarded juvenile delinquents let loose in a zoo "Total Dhamaal" must be fun.

    WATCH: 'Total Dhamaal' Looks Depressingly Crass

    Anurag Basu Working On Dark Comic Anthology

    Anurag Basu Working On Dark Comic Anthology
    Filmmaker Anurag Basu's next has four different stories set in an Indian metro. Actors like Abhishek Bachchan and Rajkummar Rao will star in the dark comic anthology.  

    Anurag Basu Working On Dark Comic Anthology

    Moving Away From Centrestage Is Heartbreaking For Any Actor: Abhishek Bachchan

    Actor Abhishek Bachchan's last few movies before his sabbatical that ended with "Manmarziyaan" were majorly second leads in big budget movies. 

    Moving Away From Centrestage Is Heartbreaking For Any Actor: Abhishek Bachchan

    My Wife Tells Me I Need To Calm Down A Bit: Shahid Kapoor

    My Wife Tells Me I Need To Calm Down A Bit: Shahid Kapoor
    Actor Shahid Kapoor says he and his wife Mira have a different approach when it comes to parenting.

    My Wife Tells Me I Need To Calm Down A Bit: Shahid Kapoor