Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    'Good News' To Now Release On September 6

    'Good News' To Now Release On September 6
    "Good News", which will reunite Kareena Kapoor Khan and Akshay Kumar on the big screen after four years, will now hit the screens on September 6, filmmaker Karan Johar announced on Monday.

    'Good News' To Now Release On September 6

    Never Seen Anyone Work So Hard For The Nation: Anil Kapoor On Modi

    At the trailer launch of his upcoming film "Total Dhamaal" here on Monday, Anil spoke about his meeting with Modi last week.

    Never Seen Anyone Work So Hard For The Nation: Anil Kapoor On Modi

    Coming Up With My Health App Soon: Shilpa Shetty

    Coming Up With My Health App Soon: Shilpa Shetty
    Actress Shipa Shetty Kundra, who is known as a fitness icon in Hindi film industry, says she will launch her health app in a couple of months.

    Coming Up With My Health App Soon: Shilpa Shetty

    PM Unveils India's First Cinema Museum, Calls Films 'Silent Power'

    Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Sunday that Indian film fraternity is at the forefront of showcasing the country's culture globally.

    PM Unveils India's First Cinema Museum, Calls Films 'Silent Power'

    Don't Force Your Child To Have Anything: Soha

    Actress Soha Ali Khan, also a mother, says people should not force their children to have anything.

    Don't Force Your Child To Have Anything: Soha

    Sushant Singh Rajput's 'Rifleman' In Legal Trouble

    Sushant Singh Rajput's 'Rifleman' In Legal Trouble
    The director of "72 Hours...", Avinash Dhyani said this on Saturday while interacting with the media at a press conference here.

    Sushant Singh Rajput's 'Rifleman' In Legal Trouble