Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Sonakshi, Varun Sharma To Head To Punjab For Film

    Actors Sonakshi Sinha, Varun Sharma, Annu Kapoor, Kulbhushan Kharbanda and Nadira Babbar will shoot in Punjab for a slice of life entertainer.

    Sonakshi, Varun Sharma To Head To Punjab For Film

    Honest Opinion Stinks, But It Doesn'T Stop Me From Voicing It: Sonu Nigam

    "Look, opinion is like an a**hole, everyone has it. Some refuse to understand that. And the fact is honest opinion stinks, but that does not stop me to say it, why should I say something dishonest?" Sonu told IANS here.

    Honest Opinion Stinks, But It Doesn'T Stop Me From Voicing It: Sonu Nigam

    Constant Political Interference Will Scare Away Filmmakers: Aahana Kumra

    In the past too, movies like "Indu Sarkar", "Rajneeti", "Thackeray", "Manto" and "Airlift" have faced tension from political groups.

    Constant Political Interference Will Scare Away Filmmakers: Aahana Kumra

    Film On Radha And Krishna Will Be On A Huge Scale Says Imtiaz Ali

    Film On Radha And Krishna Will Be On A Huge Scale Says Imtiaz Ali
    Acclaimed filmmaker Imtiaz Ali has revealed that his forthcoming directorial venture based on eternal love story of Radha and Krishna will be on a huge scale.

    Film On Radha And Krishna Will Be On A Huge Scale Says Imtiaz Ali

    You'll Be Blown Away By Alia In 'Kalank': Varun Dhawan

    You'll Be Blown Away By Alia In 'Kalank': Varun Dhawan
    Actor Varun Dhawan, who has worked with his "Student Of The Year" co-star Alia Bhatt in multiple projects, says the audience will be as blown away as him by her work in their forthcoming project "Kalank".

    You'll Be Blown Away By Alia In 'Kalank': Varun Dhawan

    We Are Not Opposing 'Manikarnika...': Shri Rajput Karni Sena

    Denying reports about the outfit opposing the period drama, its national spokesperson and ex-major Dr Himanshu said Shri Rajput Karni Sena's name is being used for vested interests.    

    We Are Not Opposing 'Manikarnika...': Shri Rajput Karni Sena