Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Will Start Shooting Of Ranveer Singh-Starrer '83' From May This Year, Says Kabir Khan

    Will Start Shooting Of Ranveer Singh-Starrer '83' From May This Year, Says Kabir Khan
    Kabir Khan was interacting with the media when he attended music composer Pritam's new musical platform 'JAM8' along with Pritam, Advait Chandan, Karan Johar and Imtiaz Ali on Thursday in Mumbai.

    Will Start Shooting Of Ranveer Singh-Starrer '83' From May This Year, Says Kabir Khan

    Alia Wants CBFC To Let Her Mother's Film Release

    Alia Wants CBFC To Let Her Mother's Film Release
    As actress Soni Razdan awaits the censor board's green signal for her film "No Fathers In Kashmir", her daughter and actress Alia Bhatt has come out in support of the film.

    Alia Wants CBFC To Let Her Mother's Film Release

    Farhan To Play Boxer In Rakeysh Mehra's 'Toofan'

    Actor Farhan Akhtar has joined hands with director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra after six years for the upcoming film "Toofan" and will be seen playing a boxer.    

    Farhan To Play Boxer In Rakeysh Mehra's 'Toofan'

    Woman 'Withdraws' Complaint Against Krishan Kumar, Bhushan Kumar

    Woman 'Withdraws' Complaint Against Krishan Kumar, Bhushan Kumar
    She has said she had made "false allegations" against them out of "frustration" and "depression".

    Woman 'Withdraws' Complaint Against Krishan Kumar, Bhushan Kumar

    Omung Kumar Goes Back to Narendra Modi's Roots for Biopic on Him

    Filmmaker Omung Kumar B, who is making a movie on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, visited places in Gujarat where the political leader spent his childhood days.

    Omung Kumar Goes Back to Narendra Modi's Roots for Biopic on Him

    Everything Boils Down To The Script Itself: Deepika Padukone

    Actress Deepika Padukone, who was last seen onscreen in "Padmaavat", says that everything boils down to the script itself for a film to work at the box office.    

    Everything Boils Down To The Script Itself: Deepika Padukone