Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Nawazuddin Siddiqui's 'Photograph' Heads To Berlinale

    Nawazuddin Siddiqui's 'Photograph' Heads To Berlinale
    Nawazuddin Siddiqui-starrer "Photograph" will be screened at the 69th Berlin International Film Festival next month.

    Nawazuddin Siddiqui's 'Photograph' Heads To Berlinale

    I Don't Regret Anything: Jacqueline Fernandez

    Jacqueline Fernandez credits her success and failure for keeping her balanced and calm. The actress says she doesn't regret any of her decisions.

    I Don't Regret Anything: Jacqueline Fernandez

    People Make Mistakes: Sourav Ganguly Defends Hardik Pandya, KL Rahul

    Ganguly spoke at the trailer launch of the Hindi film "22 Yards", with the cast members Barun Sobti, Geetika Tyagi and Chaiti Ghoshal and director Mitali Ghoshal here on Wednesday.

    People Make Mistakes: Sourav Ganguly Defends Hardik Pandya, KL Rahul

    A Propaganda Film Will Work If The Story Works: Filmmaker Prakash Jha

    A Propaganda Film Will Work If The Story Works: Filmmaker Prakash Jha
    The pre-election release of both the films triggered a debate on political propaganda via showbiz.    

    A Propaganda Film Will Work If The Story Works: Filmmaker Prakash Jha

    Everyone Said It's Too Risky: 'Pm Narendra Modi' Producer

    Whether it is the National Award-winning biopic "Mary Kom", a film like "Sarbjit" or the upcoming biopic "PM Narendra Modi"

    Everyone Said It's Too Risky: 'Pm Narendra Modi' Producer

    My Personality Closest To My 'Koi Jaan Na' Role: Amyra Dastur

    Actress Amyra Dastur says her own personality is closest to the zestful character she essays in "Koi Jaan Na", in which she will be seen opposite Kunal Kapoor.

    My Personality Closest To My 'Koi Jaan Na' Role: Amyra Dastur