Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

What About Their Families: Ajay Devgn Thinks We Shouldn't Be Unfair To Those Accused Of Harassment

Darpan News Desk IANS, 17 Jul, 2019 09:36 PM

    Ajay Devgn had been vocal about lending his support to women who face harassment in the industry. But his recent statement has us confused.


    In a recent interview with Filmfare, the Golmaal actor shed some light on what he thinks of the #MeToo movement and working with an accused harasser.


    He stated, “There’s a difference between ‘accused’ and ‘proven guilty'. One must definitely not work with those proven guilty. But those who haven’t been, we can’t be unfair to them. What about their families? I know an ‘accused’ whose daughter was so traumatised, she stopped eating and going to school.”


    Devgn fails to keep in mind how a woman is bashed for coming out with her story of assault and that many accused harassers get away with their heinous acts because they know they can get away with it. Every woman who has come forward with an allegation has been subjected to cyberbullying for their move.


    After Alok Nath was accused of rape and sexual harassment by multiple women, Ajay Devgn found himself in the middle of the controversy for choosing to work with him in De De Pyaar De.


    According to the 50-year-old actor, “When the entire #MeToo Movement happened, I, along with many of my film industry colleagues categorically expressed that I respect every single woman at the workplace and I would not stand for any unfairness or atrocity against them. Nothing about my stand has changed."


    He further stated, “The decision to replace Mr Alok Nath could never have been mine alone. In this case, I would have to go with the joint-decision of the entire unit. Not to forget, I could not have brought the entire combination of actors back or put upsets again for a 40-day re-shoot because this would mean doubling the budget, which again wasn’t my call to make. It would have to be the call of the makers.”

    MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

    Why Is Naseeruddin Shah Under Attack?

    It is strange how I never thought of Naseeruddin Shah as a Muslim until now when his religious identity is being used against him to prove he is anti-national.

    Why Is Naseeruddin Shah Under Attack?

    '...Accidental Prime Minister' Mints Rs 4.5 Cr Despite Resistance

    "The Accidental Prime Minister", which presents Manmohan Singh's tenure in office, collected Rs 4.5 crore in India, where protests were staged by Congress activists in some parts.

    '...Accidental Prime Minister' Mints Rs 4.5 Cr Despite Resistance

    Unfortunate That Indian Content Banned In Pakistan, Says Shabana Azmi

    Unfortunate That Indian Content Banned In Pakistan, Says Shabana Azmi
    Veteran actress Shabana Azmi has reacted to Pakistan's Supreme Court's decision to ban Indian content in their country terming it as unfortunate, saying it is the decision of Pakistan's politicians and bureaucrats and not their audience.

    Unfortunate That Indian Content Banned In Pakistan, Says Shabana Azmi

    All The Criticism Makes You Stronger: Karan Johar

    All The Criticism Makes You Stronger: Karan Johar
    Filmmaker Karan Johar reads up everything being written about him on social media, and says he finds strength from the praise and the criticism.

    All The Criticism Makes You Stronger: Karan Johar

    It's Important To Have Style: Alia Bhatt

    It's Important To Have Style: Alia Bhatt
    Actress Alia Bhatt, an investor in a fashion-tech startup, says style is important.    

    It's Important To Have Style: Alia Bhatt

    Excited To Play Lawyer On Screen For First Time: Richa Chadha

    Excited To Play Lawyer On Screen For First Time: Richa Chadha
    "I am excited to play a lawyer on screen for the first time. Everyone I am working with on this project, I have been a fan of," Richa said in a statement.

    Excited To Play Lawyer On Screen For First Time: Richa Chadha