A very tasty yet simple traditional dal with seasoning which will be a great combination with Palak Puri, any Indian breads or rice of your choice.
Dal – Ingredients
1/2 cup masoor dal (pink colour dal)
1/2 cup toor dal
2 ½ cups/500 ml water
1/2 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, finely sliced
¾ teaspoon red chilli powder
1 ½ teaspoon coriander powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 well ripe tomato (1 big size or 2 small size), finely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves
1. Wash and soak dals in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes. Add oil, turmeric powder and pressure cook for 20 minutes or until done/soft (reduce the heat to medium after 2nd whistle and cook for 15 minutes). Switch off the heat. Allow the cooker to cool naturally. Open the lid and keep aside.
2. Dilute red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder in 2 tablespoon water and keep aside (spice mix).
3. In a pan or kadai, heat oil. Add sliced onion and fry on a low to medium heat until crisp and golden colour.
4. Add diluted spice mix and stir well on a low heat for 2–3 minutes until the raw smell goes and spices well combined with onion.
5. Add chopped tomato mix well.
6. Add boiled dal and adjust salt to taste. If the dal is very thick in consistency, adjust with extra ¼ cup (50 ml) hot water. Mix all the ingredients well. Cover with a tight lid and cook on a medium to low heat for 10–12 minutes until the dal is well combined with all the spices and thickens.
Final tadka (seasoning):
You will need…
2 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
1 tablespoon garlic, very finely chopped (optional)
Heat oil in a small pan/tadka pan. Add jeera and fry on a low heat until fragrant. Add chopped garlic (optional) and fry until crisp. Pour the seasoning and chopped coriander leaves over the dal you prepared…your delicious Dal Tadka Special is ready! You can enjoy it with Palak Puri, rotis or rice!