- 500 g potatoes
- 2 tbsps rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1⁄4 tsp red chilli powder, or to taste a generous pinch of asafoetida
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, making sure they don’t overcook or break up. Once drained and cooled, peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat, then add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Immediately lower the heat so that they don’t burn. Add the chopped green chillies and ginger, ground spices and asafoetida, and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the boiled and cubed potatoes to the pan and toss with the spices. Let the potatoes cook for two to three minutes on a medium heat, then mix in the chopped coriander. Check the seasoning and add the lemon juice to finish.
- Serve with pooris, parathas, or as a side dish with dal and rice.