Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

9 Indians among 10 killed in Maldives fire

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Nov, 2022 12:09 PM
  • 9 Indians among 10 killed in Maldives fire

Male, Nov 10 (IANS) At least 10 people, including nine Indians, were killed and several others injured when a fire swept through cramped lodgings of foreign workers in Male, the Maldivian fire service said.

Officials said 10 bodies were recovered from the upper floor of a building destroyed in the fire, which originated from a ground-floor vehicle repair garage, local media reported.

He added that it took them about four hours to put out the fire.

"We are deeply saddened by the tragic fire incident in Male which has caused loss of lives, including reportedly of Indian nationals. We are in close contact with the Maldivian authorities," the Indian High Commission in Male tweeted.

An evacuation centre has been set up in a nearby stadium, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) of Maldives said.

"NDMA has established an evacuation centre in Maafannu Stadium for those displaced and affected by the fire in Male. Arrangements are being made to provide relief assistance and support."

The Maldivian capital, best known as an upmarket tourist destination, is one of the world's most densely populated cities.

Foreign workers make up about half of Male's 250,000-strong population and are mostly from Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Their poor living conditions of foreign workers was found out during the Covid-19 pandemic when the infection spread three times faster among foreign workers compared with locals.

Approximately 29,000 Indians live and work in the Maldives and almost 22,000 of them live in Male, the capital city.

They comprise nurses, teachers, managers, doctors, engineers, accountants and other professionals.

MORE India ARTICLES

K'taka Lingayat mutt sex scandal: Seer sent to 5-day police custody

K'taka Lingayat mutt sex scandal: Seer sent to 5-day police custody
Judge B.K. Komala has given clear directions that accused seer should not be taken to anywhere during police custody, ruling out any possibility of shifting him to Bengaluru hospital.  The police had sought 5 days' custody of the accused seer for investigation. 

K'taka Lingayat mutt sex scandal: Seer sent to 5-day police custody

Canada, Punjab ties strong and diverse, says Consul General

Canada, Punjab ties strong and diverse, says Consul General
Last week, Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann, while extending a red carpet welcome to industrialists and entrepreneurs to invest in Punjab, said the state would emerge as industrial hub of the country.

Canada, Punjab ties strong and diverse, says Consul General

Akali Dal reserves 50% seats for workers below 50

Akali Dal reserves 50% seats for workers below 50
The SAD chief told the media here that the party would stick to its core principles, including the need for a true federal structure, taking all sections of society and people from all religious faiths with it. He said SAD, the oldest regional party with a 102-year-old track record, would continue to rise to serve the regional aspirations of people of Punjab.

Akali Dal reserves 50% seats for workers below 50

Punjab Police bust inter-state weapon smuggling module

Punjab Police bust inter-state weapon smuggling module
Police have also recovered a cache of 55 pistols of .32 bore and .30 bore from their possession. The accused were apprehended from Madhya Pradesh by the Counter Intelligence unit of Punjab Police with the help of its counterparts in Madhya Pradesh.

Punjab Police bust inter-state weapon smuggling module

K'taka sex scandal case: Accused Lingayat seer finally arrested

K'taka sex scandal case: Accused Lingayat seer finally arrested
Lingayat seer Dr Murugha Shivamurthy Sharanaru, accused of raping minor girls, was finally taken into custody by the Karnataka Police on Thursday night - six days after the FIR against him was lodged. Police sources said the accused seer will be produced before a court on Friday. 

K'taka sex scandal case: Accused Lingayat seer finally arrested

Shekhawat's statement on Chandigarh conflict of interest: Sukhbir

Shekhawat's statement on Chandigarh conflict of interest: Sukhbir
Taking umbrage at the Union Minister's new plan on how the future of Chandigarh would be decided, Badal said: "It is not in the ambit of Shekhawat to take a decision on this matter. This is a closed chapter. The UT status of Chandigarh is purely temporary pending transfer to Punjab."

Shekhawat's statement on Chandigarh conflict of interest: Sukhbir