Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
India

AAP's Punjab CM face Bhagwant Mann to contest from Dhuri

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Jan, 2022 11:55 AM
  • AAP's Punjab CM face Bhagwant Mann to contest from Dhuri

Chandigarh, Jan 20 (IANS) Two-time Member of Parliament and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief ministerial candidate Bhagwant Mann will be contesting from Dhuri in the February 20 polls in Punjab.

The announcement was made by state affairs co in-charge Raghav Chadha in Mohali on Thursday.

"Mann is a pan-Punjab leader and will campaign for party candidates across the state. We are the only party to go into the polls with a CM's face," Chadha told reporters. He also said Mann and Arvind Kejriwal form a formidable team.

Mann, 48, is pitted against Congress sitting legislator Dalvir Singh Goldy where former Sangrur MLA Parkash Chand Garg is in the fray as the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) candidate.

The Sanyukt Samaj Morcha, an outfit floated by 19 farm organisations, has fielded former sarpanch Sarabjit Singh Alal as its candidate.

In 2017 Assembly polls, Goldy defeated AAP's Jasvir Singh Jassi Sekhon by a slender margin of 2,811 votes.

The Dhuri Assembly constituency falls in the Sangrur parliamentary seat that commedia-turned-politician Mann, 48, is representing.

The AAP has so far named candidates on 112 of the 117 Assembly seats.

In the 2017 assembly polls, the Congress won a whopping 77 seats in the 117-member House, while SAD-BJP combine could win only 18 seats. AAP emerged as the second-largest party with 20 seats.

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi Gangrape Death Row Convicts Approach International Court Of Justice

The petition stated that the Tihar jail authorities were preparing the execution of the four death row convicts in a "hurried manner, such a hasty and secretive execution will be plainly illegal as above mentioned three convicts are yet to avail their legal remedy."  

Delhi Gangrape Death Row Convicts Approach International Court Of Justice

COVID-19 Scare Grips India, Death Toll Rises To 2

Two deaths have been confirmed in India after a 69-year-old woman died at RML hospital here died on Friday. Earlier, a man from Karnatak died on Thursday.

COVID-19 Scare Grips India, Death Toll Rises To 2

Former Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah Freed, Says Won't Make Any Political Statement For Now

Hours after he was released from seven-month detention, former Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah told reporters on Friday at his residence at Gupkar Raod in Srinagar that he is thankful to the people who prayed for his freedom, "but my freedom is incomplete until all those detained in Kashmir are released".    

Former Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah Freed, Says Won't Make Any Political Statement For Now

NPR Not To Mark Any Citizen ‘Doubtful’; No Documents Need To Be Furnished: Amit Shah

The National Population Register (NPR) will not have a Doubtful category, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday and asked the opposition leaders to come to him and discuss if there is any doubt in this regard.  

NPR Not To Mark Any Citizen ‘Doubtful’; No Documents Need To Be Furnished: Amit Shah

Woman Doctor From Canada Tests Coronavirus Positive In Lucknow

Her blood sample reported positive result at the KGMU laboratory, and will now be sent for reconfirmation to the National Institute of Virology in Pune.

Woman Doctor From Canada Tests Coronavirus Positive In Lucknow

Coronavirus Outbreak: 76-year-old Man Is India’s First Fatality Due To COVID-19

A 76-year-old man from Kalburgi is India’s first casualty due to coronavirus, announced Karnataka state government Thursday. This is reportedly India’s first fatality due to COVID-19.    

Coronavirus Outbreak: 76-year-old Man Is India’s First Fatality Due To COVID-19